Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Bastion

1. Bastion

One of the games shown at PAX is this interesting little XBLA/PSN game slated for next year. It's an overhead third person action RPG with what looks to be either a world creation mechanic or a really clever narrative method.

Apparently a narrator describes everything you do, and in turn it helps create the world around you, and so on and so forth. Whether or not it's dynamic in any way or just a clever vehicle for the plot/story/level design remains to be seen, but even still I like the graphics and the potential for gameplay is there.

I like the style, I love the voice over, I like the concept. But I'd like some pure gameplay footage. Diablo-style action/RPGs do nothing for me, but if it's more in line with the Mana series I'd be interested.

3. There's a video floating around that's not Youtube format with a guy playing it at PAX, it helps you get a feel for the gameplay. It's not really much like Diablo/Torchlight.

4. Looks interesting, like the style and the guy narrating sounds great.

Could you have possibly been more mysterious, TrialSword? Anyway, here's some footage from GameVideos: part 1 and part 2.
    Here's some YouTube footage of mostly the same stuff with less combat footage but better sound quality, which makes it clear that the narration in the trailer is present throughout the game:

I'm pretty impressed. It looks less mashy and more twitch-based than most action/RPGs. The dodge seems to prevent any sort of damage, which fixes what is typically my biggest peeve with that sort of game - the inevitability of taking damage when you wade into a melee.

6. I trusted your Google powers.

Wow, 5 stars.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

I tried out the demo. I just couldn't get into it.