Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dlc comes to cpus

1. Chicken dlc comes to cpus

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/18/i...can-already-d/

by and far the dumbest thing I've seen all week

2. I'm a bit confused by what this means. Say I buy an Intel Core i7-920 which has 8MB L3 cache I'd have to buy the upgrade to get the full thing unlocked? If that's true, laff. I know they're trying this on their low-end models but I'd rather just get an AMD chipset.

3. This is quite common on enterprise-level setups if I recall correctly.

Let's say a CPU is $100. They disable some features and sell it for $75, with the ability to unlock those features for an addition $25. What's the issue?

The nerd rage in the comments is great.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 18 Sep 2010 at 08:23 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I'm a bit confused by what this means. Say I buy an Intel Core i7-920 which has 8MB L3 cache I'd have to buy the upgrade to get the full thing unlocked? If that's true, laff. I know they're trying this on their low-end models but I'd rather just get an AMD chipset.
    That's basically the concept, yeah. Locking out cache, cores, etc.

I wonder if this will be even worse news for non-Windows users.

5. Want to buy a sandwich? It's $2.99 plus .79 cents for each bite after the third. If you want to eat the meat on your sandwich you can redeem one of our upgrade codes, which are only $1.99. The 'eat the bread' upgrade is currently on sale for .99 cents and makes a great stocking stuffer. See, we disabled those features in order to bring you this delicious sandwich at a lower price. If you choose not to upgrade, just uh.. throw those things in the trash, I guess, because we can't really sell them to anyone else after they've been on your plate for twenty minutes.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    This is quite common on enterprise-level setups if I recall correctly.

Let's say a CPU is $100. They disable some features and sell it for $75, with the ability to unlock those features for an addition $25. What's the issue?

The nerd rage in the comments is great.
    It's really not that different than when they sell the same die in underclocked and full clocked models, I guess. Except that advanced users could just overclock those old chips and save a buck and now they can't.

The idea of having DRM on your CPU is a little troubling when you think about it.

7. So I guess this implies Intel can't sell chips with bad cache/cores as a lower model #, since those would fail to unlock. What will they do with them now? Sell as an even lower line I guess...

Fuck Intel. I've been done with them since 2003.

9. Intel has treated me right, to be honest. I've been with my Core 2 Duo for 4-5 years now and it has never given me a problem. I'm no power user but Intel makes updates a breeze.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Fuck Intel. I've been done with them since 2003.
    We were all done with them in 2003 (hell, I was an AMD user exclusively from about 1990 or 91 until then). But if you didn't come back in 2007 you messed up. Intel makes better chips these days.