Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4D Sports Boxing

1. 4D Sports Boxing

its an old PC game, from 1991, the google tells me that it was developed by DSI(?), and published by Sierra, if memory serves.

Anyways, my favorite boxing game ever, excellent gameplay and the like, I have a copy on my old PC and need to copy it to this one. . .

it was 3D too, and you could switch around through a few different camera angles, 1st person view revealed the opponents face, and his expressions would change throughout the match. Cool back then, it'd look like a polygonal mess now, I imagine. but its something to see your enemy grinning while they're pummeling you.

I don't remmber much about it, just that I loved it, and I haven't made a topic in a while. so.

lovely graphics.

anyone else play it? Smoking Joe Robinson(#29)[see? I still remember his name and rank, but no one else's] used to beat me so badly. I built my boxer up to the #3 rank, went back to fight him, and still lost. thankfully, you could skip a few boxers while advancing rank.

2. Ah, the memories... I used to play 4D Boxing with my friends for hours on end... and that's really all I remember.

Cool game though. I've yet to play a boxing game that was quite as fun as that one. It kept things simple for the most part, but that's why it worked well. When you took down your opponent, you actually felt like you really took him down and weren't striking the keys completely at random.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

3. yeah, I had a couple of uppercut/hook combos worked out just for finishing people off. And they would be groggy and unable to defend themselves, and their head would go flying around everytime you hit it, it was very satisfying.

4. 4D? Why was it called 4D? Konami's Broken Helix claimed it was "4D", but they just used it as a way to mean that lots of stuff was happening around you independantly of what you were doing.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Heh heh, I had that game on my old Mac LC, if I recall. I don't know how you can say it was simple, though. It was as complicated as any boxing game today (not that I really play boxing games any more), just not nearly as good looking, or...just good overall. I remember that I'd always reduce the graphics to just wireframes, since the animation was way smoother on my cpu, and it looked cleaner than those nasty polygons anyway. Very impressive animation and collision for the time.

6. Great game. Along with Stunts... I remember playing a lot of those two.

7. Originally posted by Tain
    Great game. Along with Stunts... I remember playing a lot of those two.
    I think I have an entire floppy disk filled up with my own Stunts tracks. For those of you that don't know, that's a ton of tracks. We used to spend entire days making tracks that could only be compleated with the F1 car at a constant 245 mph (lots of double jumps). Since the computer wouldn't allow double jumps, we'd make the "real" track a simple closed loop off in the corner and then as far as the computer was concerned all the rest of the pieces we put down were just random parts scattered about.

I have played the demo of 4D Boxing. It was fun but mostly because there weren't very many polygon games out back then.

And the logo in the middle of the ring reminds me that it was published by Mindscape.

9. i played the hell out of this game! i had some nice combos, and I liked the view where you look through the eyes of your opponent.
    steam: Mrs Esterhouse

10. look through the eyes of your opponent? I was wondering why I remembered seeing my character grinning after knocking someone out.

And the logo in the middle of the ring reminds me that it was published by Mindscape.

I just saw that. . . so why the hell do I keep remembering it as Sierra's 4D sports pro boxing? x_X ah well.

I only heard about Stunts while looking for pics of this game to put in with the topic. I'll have to find a copy. . .