Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 57891011 LastLast

Thread: OMG a 3DO, LOL!

1. Killing Time is pretty heinous. I played it not long ago and I did a lot of accidentally going through walls and not being able to get back inside the level and such.

2. Ghosts go through walls, duh.

You get to stomp ducks!

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    SSJN is right. Jaguar's top games are better than 3DO's best, but overall, 3DO has the better library. There isn't even a game on Jaguar that looks as good as Road Rash or Need for Speed, not to mention as smooth. 3DO has better fighting games and sports games.
    This goes back to the success criteria. The 3DO is the 360, and the Jaguar is the PS3. The 3DO may be the better console if it's the only one you have, but you can play almost everything on it better somewhere else.

4. That's true of every console fifteen years later. But at the time, 3DO had a lot more to offer than Jag.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Name the 3DO exclusives worth playing. This shouldn't take long. When you're done with your empty post, compare it to T2K, AvP, and Iron Soldier. I don't even need to pad the list beyond that.

And I'll give credit for the best version of Star Control II as well.
    Star Control II
    Star Fighter (which I'm including due the the incredibly shit versions on all other consoles, and nobody in the US owning an Amstrad)

So yeah, that's a qualified two. Which matches the Jaguar quite nicely, seeing as the Saturn version of Tempest 2K is excellent.

Also, god help me, I really enjoyed Crash & Burn back in the day. I've got a good idea how it would hold up if played today, so I'll be happy with the memory.

James

6. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Star Control II
    Star Fighter (which I'm including due the the incredibly shit versions on all other consoles, and nobody in the US owning an Amstrad)
    It was the Acorn Archimedes, not the Amstrad.

FYI, an unofficial modern PC version of Star Control II based on the 3DO version's code was made. I'm not sure if it was completely finished, though.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    It was the Acorn Archimedes, not the Amstrad.
    Damn, I knew it began with A. Should have double-checked.

James

9. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. I guess it must have been 2007 when I got a 3DO.

"Good" exclusives: Guardian War, PaTaank, Scramble Cobra, the Tetsujin/Iron Angel of the Apocalypse series, Slayer, Stellar 7: Draxon's Revenge, BladeForce (though I've never gotten past the first stage and I don't know what I'm doing), Trip'D. With all the party/"casual" games in recent years, there's still been nothing quite like Twisted (or Zhadnost, which I've never played).

Good "exclusives:" Burning Soldier and Shockwave 2. Burning Soldier came out for the PC in Japan, and Shockwave 2 came out for the Mac via some budget collection, but I'm guessing they're not easy to find.

The 3DO and PC versions of Killing Time are supposed to be different, but I don't know the details. I remember liking the 3DO version, but that was many years ago.

Real Pinball may be the worst pinball game I've played. It's got nothing on Last Gladiators, anyway.

As much as the concept of this game intrigued me, I never got too far into it. I recall shitty load times and Dennis Hopper. I tried many times over the years to get into it. Never could though. After watching this video, I'm starting to remember why.
    Tried it years ago. Didn't get too into it. I remember the computer animation being creepy. (Or is that "crappy?")

JAPANESE!
    KOREAN!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Perhaps I expected too much from it 2d-wise given that it was a new and very expensive system. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the technical aspects. Maybe it would have shined for 2d sidescrollers if the best Genesis/SNES developers were making games for it.
    Bust-A-Move chugs a little.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Cannon Fodder's best on Amiga. It has mouse control like on PC but nicer sound.
    I guess the 3DO version doesn't support the mouse. (This and Syndicate seem like no-brainers for mouse support.)