Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG a 3DO, LOL!

1. That RPG is Lucienne's Quest.

2. No, he's thinking Guardian War aka Powers Kingdom.
    Lucienne's Quest is the one that costs a lot, but is not worth the cost. I bought a "new" copy for way too much off eBay years ago only to discover that the shrinkwrap was cut open around the flap so that the jewel case could be easily removed.
    Unfortunately, this was before ebay/paypal were so buyer friendly. The seller said YEAH IT'S OPEN, BUT I NEVER PLAYED IT SO THAT MAKES IT NEW.
    Faggot ass faggot. But since it was already open, I played and beat it.

3. I really liked this. It's a Shining Force wanna be.

4. Lucienne's Quest does suck. Wasn't Guardian War ported to Saturn?

5. No, Luciennes was. It was Sword and Sorcery in Japan.

6. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I still think the hardware wasn't great for 2d games. I remember reading somewhere that it had issues when doing a lot of parallax layers. I recall some of its 2d games that looked amazing in stills being a bit choppy in motion.
    I don't know if that's 100% fair. IIRC it used framebuffer rendering (like Amiga, Lynx, and PC-like hardware) instead of tile-based (like most pre-DC consoles) which has its advantages and disadvantages. There are generally fewer limitations, but it's also more processor intensive.

7. FORGIVE ME! IT WAS I WHO RELEASED THE BEAST!

Another unreleased game. I remember looking forward to this when I heard about it. From the vid, I'm glad I didn't have to waste the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I don't know if that's 100% fair. IIRC it used framebuffer rendering (like Amiga, Lynx, and PC-like hardware) instead of tile-based (like most pre-DC consoles) which has its advantages and disadvantages. There are generally fewer limitations, but it's also more processor intensive.
    Perhaps I expected too much from it 2d-wise given that it was a new and very expensive system. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the technical aspects. Maybe it would have shined for 2d sidescrollers if the best Genesis/SNES developers were making games for it.

9. I bought a 3DO at launch. Well, my dad did, but still. I have so many fond memories of this system. My friends and I used to play Samurai Shodown, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Star Control II, The Horde, Slam 'N Jam '95, etc., so much that the system kind of broke, with the disc drive refusing to open.

We then just popped the top and placed the disc in from the top. It was kind of a trip to see the disc spinning out in the open as we played. After a while, as my library began to grow, I bought another 3DO system. This time it was the FZ-10. I still have the system to this date.

Other noteworthy games on the system I'd recommend checking out are:

• Captain Quazar - Great two-player shooting action.

• BattleSport - I remember this game having a really good frame rate.

• Flashback - I like the enhancements in the cinemas.

• Out of this World - Like Flashback, I like the audio and visual updates. I know some people feel the increased details to the graphics detract from the game's overall look, but I didn't feel that way.

• Soccer Kid - Decent 2D side-scroller.

10. I beat Guardian War back in the day, and while I've got no idea how it would hold up today, I loved every minute of it back then.

I was one of the people who paid $700 for the 3DO. In fairness, I knew it was a dumb idea, but days before it came out a multi-year relationship hit a brick wall, plus I was a waiter so had stupid amounts of cash on me at any given time. So a bit of rationalization later and I paid way too much for a shiny new system. And it made me happy the entire time I had it, until it eventually died.

James