Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Would You Rank Last Gen's Shmup's?

1. How Would You Rank Last Gen's Shmup's?

James did a very good thread on Favorite Cave shooters previously but there were a bunch of others shooters that were ported and re-released by other companies over the last generation and I'd like to see how you guys would rank them. So in this particular case which shmup resonated the most to you and felt like it had the best and most refined mechanics?

This was kind of hard to do for me since they're all awesome shooters but out of my personal collection so far I'd say Ikaruga is still a top tier super challenging and really refined shooter followed by Muchi Muchi Pork + Pink Sweets & Dodonpachi Resurrection tied for second place, Akai Katana in 3rd, Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved in 4th, and Deathsmiles II in 5th place.

I'll definitely have to update my rankings a few times after acquiring Mushihimesama Futari, Deathsmiles, Raiden Fighters Aces, Super Stardust HD, Radiant Silvergun HD, and Espgaluda 2 but what would be your ranking?
    Last edited by Will; 29 Jan 2014 at 11:00 AM.

2. 11-year old thread makes me feel old.

I think the one I played most last gen was Geometry Wars Retro Evolved, but Akai Katana takes the top spot for mechanics. It was a really good generation for a while there, but the switch to mobile kind of killed it for me.

James

3. Higher ranked:
    Akai Katana was cool, MMP/PS were a lot of fun but kind of stupid easy, Geometry Wars 2 was great, and Mushihime Futari is good but I didn't like it as much as the first. Ikaruga is still good but I barely touched the 360 version, so I think I was a little burned out. Maybe when it hits PC I'll get back to it. I recall Ketsui being pretty great but I can't really remember how it plays. Jamestown was very good, and while I don't think as highly of it as some of these other entries it's still quality all around. Recca is pretty legit, I would've killed for this to have been released stateside as a kid.

Mid ranked:
    Darius Burst, Deathsmiles I&II, Raiden Fighters, and Super Stardust HD were all solid but boring games. If nothing in the higher list existed then they would be worth playing, but they all have pacing issues and/or just plain lame mechanics that don't really make them worth the time. Radiant Silvergun has cool mechanics and great bosses but I nevertheless find it boring. Gundemonium Collection as these are quite enjoyable but still lacking. Galaga Legions is style over substance but still a damn entertaining distraction. Space Invaders Extreme is the same as Galaga Legions.

I guess someone cares ranked:
    Gradius, Parodius, and Salamander are better than Omega Five and Sine Mora but I would need to be getting paid to give them any attention. Playing Gradius as a kid with its sitting around praying desperately for action to happen is what made me avoid the genre for years, and it certainly hasn't aged well. The other two I didn't play as a kid but made sure to confirm that the series didn't get better at all until V.

Low ranked:
    Everyday Shooter was a good idea and visually very interesting, but it's not interesting to play and the eight-way shooting instead of analog annoyed me. Omega Five was garbage. Sine Mora has... Well, it has an in-depth story, if that's what you look for in shooter. Space Giraffe was pretty shit all around.

I don't think I've played any of the DDP games from last generation, Bullet Soul, or Raiden IV. I haven't played Twinbee and looking at videos of it I highly doubt I would like it. Under Defeat HD looks like it might be okay.
    Last edited by MechDeus; 30 Jan 2014 at 09:49 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    11-year old thread makes me feel old.

I think the one I played most last gen was Geometry Wars Retro Evolved, but Akai Katana takes the top spot for mechanics. It was a really good generation for a while there, but the switch to mobile kind of killed it for me.

James
    I just kind of ignore their existence, if people can play them on mobile WELL then cool but I need a controller for them and prefer the big screen experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Higher ranked:
    Akai Katana was cool, MMP/PS were a lot of fun but kind of stupid easy, Geometry Wars 2 was great, and Mushihime Futari is good but I didn't like it as much as the first. Ikaruga is still good but I barely touched the 360 version, so I think I was a little burned out. Maybe when it hits PC I'll get back to it. I recall Ketsui being pretty great but I can't really remember how it plays.

Mid ranked:
    Darius Burst, Deathsmiles I&II, Raiden Fighters, and Super Stardust HD were all solid but boring games. If nothing in the higher list existed then they would be worth playing, but they all have pacing issues and/or just plain lame mechanics that don't really make them worth the time. Radiant Silvergun has cool mechanics and great bosses but I nevertheless find it boring.

Low ranked:
    Everyday Shooter was a good idea and visually very interesting, but it's not interesting to play and the eight-way shooting instead of analog annoyed me. Omega Five was garbage.

I don't think I've played any of the DDP games from last generation, Bullet Soul, or Raiden IV.
    Yeah Muchi Muchi Pork isn't as hard as the others but it has a "just right" feeling to it, fair enough though. Pink Sweets is solid but I didn't like it as much as MMP mechanics wise and aesthetically.

Dodonpachi Ressurection is really good though, I got the region free (except for Japan) European version on ebay. There's more on there for good prices so definitely check it out. The DDP games are little too rich for my blood though so I'll likely just stick to Resurrection as my only DDP game and same thing for Ketsui unfortunately.

5. Jamestown - pretty good.

6. Jamestown

James
    Jame's
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 29 Jan 2014 at 12:37 PM.

Jamestown probably did ok because it was realistically priced for the genre.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

8. Jamestown is a legitimately good game. It isn't like 90% of these other 5 dollar craps that NeoGAF et al go apeshit over

Yeah, I really liked it. Has just about exactly the same or more "content" than an $80 Cave shooter, is my point.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

I like the tier concept here.

High - Espgaluda 2, MMP/PS (both for their specific modes; Manpuku and Arrange respectively), DDP Resurrection (especially Arrange B).

Mid - Mushihime Futari, DDP Saidaiojou (lag kills my enjoyment), Ketsui (PS3 version, barely had time to play it), Galaga Legions, Space Invader Extreme, Akai Katana (I never feel like I understand this), Raiden Fighters Aces (nice to have a huge roster, not nice to have it terribly imbalanced), Deathsmiles, Guwange (mostly just for aesthetics), Eschatos & Ginga Force (both games are simple, solid, and clean to the point of sterility).

Low - Strania, Otomedius, Raiden 4

Not shmups - Super Stardust, Geometry Wars

Not played - Sine Mora, Shooting Love, Bullet Soul, KOF Skystage, Jamestown, Strike Witches whatever, Mamorukun, Caladrius, Deathsmiles II, R Type Dimensions, 1942 Joint Strike, anything else I'm accidentally or deliberately forgetting to mention offhand.

Cave may be dead and is going out on a mobile whimper now, but there's plenty of their games on PS2 and 360 to make a solid library for years of play. It'll be interesting to see what independent developers contribute to the genre in the next decade.