Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel

1. The Thing Prequel

The Thing is probably my all-time favorite movie. When they announced a prequel (hey, at least it's not a remake) I had a lot of doubts. I still do, but this AICN set visit makes me feel a little better about it: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46868

Good points: physical/pratical effects vs. digital are 80/20, and what CG there is is being done by the alien effects guys from District 9. Plus, Adebisi is in the movie! What more could you want?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. But will he rape the Thing? One can only hope.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

3. Color me very skeptical. A prequel meaning what - is this the story of the Norwegian camp takeover? We know how that turned out, and this doesn't look like it's going that route. (I've not read the leaked script.)

This strikes me as an unofficial remake. It's the same setting, with the same weapons and creature effects. Those dudes even look similar to MacReady and Childs in those shots....I want to be positive, but I dunno man, I dunno. It'll live or die based on its characters and story, and it has to do something very different to avoid feeling like a total rehash. Except now there's a chick!

The Thing is one of those untouchables: it's still awesome and always will be, and cannot be improved upon. Like Commando.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

4. Quote Originally Posted by BioMechanic View Post
    Color me very skeptical. A prequel meaning what - is this the story of the Norwegian camp takeover? We know how that turned out, and this doesn't look like it's going that route. (I've not read the leaked script.)

This strikes me as an unofficial remake. It's the same setting, with the same weapons and creature effects. Those dudes even look similar to MacReady and Childs in those shots....I want to be positive, but I dunno man, I dunno. It'll live or die based on its characters and story, and it has to do something very different to avoid feeling like a total rehash. Except now there's a chick!
    It's NOT a remake. Its a prequel that deals with what happened at the Norwegian camp. The article only says that about 100 times.

The Thing is one of those untouchables: it's still awesome and always will be, and cannot be improved upon. Like Commando.
    I agree with this statement 1000%. Anyone who would even think of remaking such a perfect classic should be buttraped by a million AIDS-infected midgets.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. I remember there was a comic-book sequel in the early 90s, I think from the people who put out the old-old Terminator and Ghostbusters books.

edit: NOPE! Dark Horse.

Picking up where John Carpenter's film left off:
    MacReady is certain he's going to die. But he doesn't care--as long as he can destroy the frozen remains of the Thing before he freezes to death.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thg1.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	58333  
    Last edited by YellerDog; 05 Oct 2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    It's NOT a remake. Its a prequel that deals with what happened at the Norwegian camp. The article only says that about 100 times.
    Well I didn't read the whole thing....but I looked at the pictures!

Anyways, in that case, the tension in the prequel will certainly be lessened since we already know what's going to happen. Plus, we already know how the creature operates, so the mystery will be gone. Kinda like how the people who saw Aliens first weren't surprised by Alien.

I think I have that comic somewhere. The cover looks verrry familiar.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

7. Quote Originally Posted by BioMechanic View Post
    Kinda like how the people who saw Aliens first weren't surprised by Alien.
    Speaking of this ... They are making a prequel to that too. With Ridley Scott producing and maybe his brother Tony directing.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

8. I heard Ridley was directing.

9. Ridley Scott 2010 /= Ridley Scott 1979

Quote Originally Posted by BioMechanic View Post
    Kinda like how the people who saw Aliens first weren't surprised by Alien.
    "Doing It Wrong"
    Last edited by YellerDog; 05 Oct 2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. I never saw the The Thing from Another World, but I love the remake. I read rumours about another remake, which pissed me off. I'm hoping this prequel is what actually inspired those rumours.