Thread: TNL Movie Club: Double Feature - Last King of Scotland and Frost/Nixon

1. TNL Movie Club: Double Feature - Last King of Scotland and Frost/Nixon

I don't expect everyone to watch both movies, but both are so good I just have to say either one you watch you'll enjoy. Both are political in nature and both were news worthy at the time. Both have outstanding performances and BOTH will entertain you no matter what Political view you uphold.

Click for full size

Last King of Scotland:

This tells the story from the viewpoint of Doctor Nicolas Garrigan, who just graduated from an undisclosed medical school in England. He decides against his families wishes to practice in Uganda. As he is helping there he basically saves the life of the new Ruler of Uganda, General Idi Amin. The General rewards this act, basically the dude bandaged him up, by placing him as an adviser in his staff. Things transpire and he later has an affair with the General's wife, all the while his support for the General is wavering. While all of this is going on Amin's strangle hold on Uganda is falling apart and even the General starts to waver on things he has done.

Forrest Whitaker won an Oscar for his performance and you'll see why. Its amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Click for full size

Frost/Nixon:

This tells the story of how Frost interviewed Nixon in 1977. It takes artistic license, but the overall gist of what transpired is pretty well foretold. Frank Langella is a perfect Nixon. The mannerisms and speech of Nixon were flawless. The one flaw were the artistic liberties this movie took. Frost did not ambush Nixon, but rather it was preplanned. But in the end Frost DID win and Nixon's comeback was stopped.

Its an amazing film and one in which I started to read the history books to better understand this point in US History. We all know the Watergate scandal, but not the fallout. Not the failed comeback of an Impeached President.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the_last_king_of_scotland_dvdrip_xvid-diamond.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	58476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frost_nixon_ver2.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	58477  
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

2. Oh shit Forest Whitaker. Both of these are on my list of movies to watch so i'll be watching them over the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

3. I've seen both of these. I didn't think either was very good (Frost/Nixon was especially lame), though Whitaker's performance was as excellent as advertised.