Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk Empire

1. Boardwalk Empire

Everyone is watching it. Now here's a thread. If you don't like this show you're probably a dullard.

Takes place during prohibition in Atlantic City, and is about a politician who uses seedy underworld dealings to get rich and control his region of the world. Written by the guy who did Sopranos, and Martin Scorsese (he directed the first episode, and will do more in future). The show is fucking outstanding. Really fills the void The Sopranos left after it went off the air.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 08 Nov 2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Hey. What's going on in this thread?

3. Mind your own business, greaseball.

That snipe kill was amazing. Jimmy is one scary bad ass when he's mad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enuch.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	58766  
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. This show is good, but not quite great. Not yet anyway. Nucky is a great character, but he seems like an strange choice for main character because he's so powerful, he seems untouchable. He doesn't seem like a guy with real problems, though that will probably change as the series evolves.

His relationship with Margaret is kind of perplexing. At first he seems to be interested in her for manipulative reasons, trying to keep her complacent and out of his hair with the Temperance League, but then he sends her of all people to hide his books? That move makes no sense at all, with as connected as he is.

5. I think he likes Margaret because she reminds him of his dead wife mostly, and she's smarter than the whores he's usually banging. I agree that Nucky as a character doesn't make a ton of sense though. They really should have spent more time showing his business before Prohibition so we'd understand how booze changed it

6. This show is good, but not quite great. Not yet anyway.
    This.

7. That sniper guy rules. I agree with the good, not great discussion going on here by my esteemed colleagues in this thread. That whore Nucky has been banging is a waste of space, glad to see Nuck pushing her out.

8. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    I think he likes Margaret because she reminds him of his dead wife mostly, and she's smarter than the whores he's usually banging.
    I never really got the impression he was especially attracted to her even, at least not when he first initiated the relationship. The deciding moment for him seemed to be when he saw her outside picketing the raid of an event Nucky was attending, and I can't imagine it was because that turned him on. It seemed more like he wanted to shut her up than anything.

Obviously she's gained his trust a bit since, but Nucky's motives seem a bit unclear in the whole thing.

9. He was between a rock and a hard place. At least with her most won't take her seriously (and she does what she's told now, for the most part, due to the luxury of life she's living). Strategically it was the best play at the time. She can tattle at worst (and nothing would happen). If he let his boys have the book they could undercut his entire operation.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    He was between a rock and a hard place. At least with her most won't take her seriously (and she does what she's told now, for the most part, due to the luxury of life she's living). Strategically it was the best play at the time. She can tattle at worst (and nothing would happen). If he let his boys have the book they could undercut his entire operation.
    This makes no sense. First of all, we've already established that Van Alden most certainly WILL listen to Margaret, because he already has, and a successful raid came of it, and he'd leap at the chance to nab Nucky.

Second, there are plenty of people in Nucky's operation (distributors, runners, etc) who know full well what he does and who would have an interest in protecting him by virtue of their own implication.

The whole thing seemed like a thin pretext to have Nucky "found out." They're writing backwards and it didn't work well in this case.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 08 Nov 2010 at 03:25 PM.