Thread: TNL Movie Club: the Filmmaker Double Feature - El Superbeasto and The Five Obstructions

1. TNL Movie Club: the Filmmaker Double Feature - El Superbeasto and The Five Obstructions

Dogme 95 fame Lars von Trier runs Jørgen Leth through a logistical gauntlet that both unravels and uncovers what a film is and how you do it. He places the beloved Dane is a position where must remake his film Det perfekte menneske, not once, but five times - each limiting the options he has to produce it.

When I first watched this in 2004, it had a huge impact on how I looked at filmmaking. Let's see how it fares, now. Tonight at 10:00/9:00 Central:

THE FIVE OBSTRUCTIONS

Then at MIDNIGHT! MIDNIGHT! MIDNIGHT!:

Fairly animated with plenty of boobs, blood, and inside jokes for movie nerds -- an R rated cartoon romp, Rob Zombie Presents:

This is a fun movie for film and cartoon fans as it is stuffed full of nods to both. The way it plays off of Warner and Hanna Barbara styled toons makes it feel like a trip back to Saturday Morning -- only if the programmer was the hormone crazed thirteen year old watching it!

Both are on Netflix's Watch Instantly. Jørgen Leth does not care for cartoons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Obstructions
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hau...El_Superbeasto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the_haunted_world_of_el_superbeasto_poster.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	58883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	five-obstructions-2.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	58884  
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 14 Nov 2010 at 10:00 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. bought superbeasto when it was first released, it reminded me of bakshi+grindhouse+cartoon network type art. some sections/concepts i thought were great, but overall found it pretty boring dunno, maybe i'll give it another watch. FYI, superbeasto first started in a series of comic books Rob put out called Spookshow

BTW, just ordered obstructions off amazon, should be here thursday

3. TFO - totally worth the purchase for film buffs.
    THWOES - boring? I had low expectations and thought it was fun. Some musical numbers are not so good and sometimes the animation could be better -- but overall I liked it!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. El Superbeasto and Rob Zombie can go fuck off, I won't watch that.

I will; however, watch The Five Obstructions because some old dude just traded in 60 DVDs, and that was among them. I don't believe in coincidence, so I will watch it tonight.

5. I tried watching El superbeasto and couldn't make it all the way through.