Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about TVs

1. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    The whites are more like realistic.
    Racist

2. Plasma is where its at. What's the sense of paying $2000 for an lcd that's barely comprable to a $1000 plasma?

3. Lotta cork sniffing in here.
    Boo, Hiss.

If video games are your main hobby, it stands to reason that the television/monitor you play them on for years at a time might be one of your most important purchases (pertaining to that hobby). By all means, sniff every fucking cork.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    The whites are more like realistic. LCD whites are bright like the sun, they do not represent accurate color. In a dark room the black levels are not that close. If a plasma can already produce the brightness required for the image to be accurate, what does it matter that it can't burn your retinas?
    Yeah, LCD televisions are set pretty bright to make it a more appealing buy when you see it setup on a showroom floor. Like Plasmas, a cheap LCD will have a shitty picture and the color and black levels won't look all that great either. I've seen a ton of LCDs and Plasmas with poor color and black levels, it just depends on the brand and quality of the components. A Pioneer, or Panasonic Plasma will look better than any LCD on the market, but after that there are several LCD models that are better than those 2nd tier model plasmas. A properly calibrated (quality) LCD won't have whites that blind you, or colors that are off.

As LCD panels have gotten thinner off-axis viewing angles have been getting worse, not better. Moving 15-20 degrees off center can change the appearance of the image on an LCD. Add in that plasma is a ton cheaper and there really is no reason to get an LED LCD tv.
    Yeah, that's true with low-end LCDs, but no so much when you get an LCD of higher quality. Plasmas usually don't do so good in well lit rooms either.

This article has the 5 best bang for the buck televisions. The article lists a Samsung LNC630 series LCD, that is a simular model to the A630 I have in my livingroom; it has a great picture.
    Last edited by gamevet; 18 Nov 2010 at 12:17 AM.

6. So I ended up getting this one and an Xbox. It's pretty great, with HDMI the picture is amazing. I haven't even tweaked the picture settings yet- I'll probably get a Blu Ray player soon and do it once I have a movie to watch.

My favorite feature is the USB port- I can just drop files onto a thumb drive and watch just about anything super easily. Even xvid stuff looks awesome.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Unless you're sitting right on top of the tv the average person is not going to be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 32 inch set.
    Why would anyone sit on top of their TV? That would break it.

Maybe if you're a fat fuck.