Page 1 of 32 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Game Club Month #1 - Xenogears

1. TNL Game Club Month #1 - Xenogears

I figured we'd start with one of the biggest sacred cows in video games and one that I've always wanted to play.

Xenogears (ゼノギアス, Zenogiasu?) is a console role-playing game developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) for Sony's PlayStation. It was released on February 11, 1998 in Japan and on October 20, 1998 in North America. The game was never released in PAL territories. The game was re-released by Square Enix for the Japanese PlayStation Network on June 25, 2008.

Xenogears follows protagonist Fei Fong Wong and several others as they struggle to survive in a world torn apart by war between the nations of Aveh and Kislev. The principles and philosophies of Friedrich Nietzsche, Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Jacques Lacan, as well as various religious themes influence the overall plot and world of Xenogears. A major theme of the game is the nature of human memory: from the start of the game, Fei has memory loss, which colors his interactions with other characters. In addition, the struggle between man and machine is also central to the game's plot. Each of the playable characters can ride in giant mechs known as gears and can use them in battle.

Overall, Xenogears was well-received by critics, with a 91% rating on Game Rankings and a score of 83 out of 100 at Metacritic. It was voted the 16th best video game of all time by readers of Famitsu in 2006. Xenogears has shipped 1.19 million copies worldwide as of March 31, 2003. The game was re-released as a Greatest Hits title in December 2003.

Check the S&B thread if you need help getting this. To give people time to figure it out I'm gonna ask that no one starts playing for a few days, give it until next weekend to start your play through so we're all on the same page.

Start Date: Fuck all, go nuts.

End Date: Sunday December 26th

Next Participant: Mzo's game will begin on December 27th.
    Last edited by Opaque; 23 Nov 2010 at 01:30 AM.

2. You never played this?

3. I own it and it has been in my pile of shame for years. Guess I'm breaking out the ol' PS2 tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

4. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    I own it and it has been in my pile of shame for years.
    I have two in my pile of shame. I bought one from Diff years ago and then last year some guy who works with my mom gave my sisters a box of old games and I snatched another copy out of it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I bought one from Diff years ago
    o rly, i was wondering what happened to that. Good thing it landed in TNL hands.

6. You also sent me a random PC game as a gift but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was or if I played it.

7. Nice, I got this game on Christmas of 98 and beat it a few months later but that was 10 + years ago so it will be interesting to revisit this and see how it has held up
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

8. I envy anyone who's yet to experience this masterpiece, rushed final act notwithstanding. That said, it's a serious chunk of gaming (70-ish hours?), and I think I'll wait for some future remake before I re-dip.

9. Do we have a time limit or do we play until we finish? I think it is reasonable to give a 2 or 3 week time limit or this could get lengthy depending on the picks.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert