Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Old Soul Music

1. That Old Soul Music

Next to Blues, Soul is my favorite genre of music. I think what I enjoy about these and what separates them from other pop music is they actually have something to say. They both had it, but blues tried to contain it's sadness and channel it through the guitar, where soul just blasted it out through the windpipes in all it's heartache.

And what's interesting is how as the civil rights movement progressed, soul went from songs of pain and struggle to songs of pride and perseverance, eventually turning into what we think of as funk.

1958 - Try Me - James Brown

1962 The Year of Soul

Cry To Me - Solomon Burke

Bring It On Home to Me - Sam Cooke

These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding

You've Really Got a Hold on Me - The Miracles

...and the later soul songs.

1966 - Hold On, I'm Comming - Sam & Dave

1967 - Sweet Soul Music - Arthur Conley

1968 - Say It Loud - James Brown

The early 60's was also a time for the female soul counterpart of girl bands led by Phil Spector belting out love songs, but I'll get to those on a later date.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 23 Nov 2010 at 12:51 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. I always thought Sweet Soul Music had one of the greatest opening lines ever.

Anyway, more Otis

and Little Anthony

3. Is this an okay place to post one of my favorite Stevie W songs? I guess I'll give it a try.

Alos, do you guys think it's safe for some BAREFOOTIN up in here? Gosh I hope!

Guys. Listen to Andre. Keep off the jailbait plz

If you end up in a 'tight situation' be sure not to hold back on the humpin, bumpin or thumpin though

Last edited by PaCrappa; 23 Nov 2010 at 01:48 PM.

4. This thread is perfect! But Stevie can go into any thread. You can't blame a blind man for getting lost!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. I don't normally get into chick singers in any genre but Carla Thomas is one of my big favorites. Apple don't fall far from the tree imo

Yeah yeah we all heard it through the grapevine but hear this sweet instrumental one with just the backup girls

I never heard anything else by these chicks but this song is epic. I never saw these girls before either. DAMN! That one on the left is PROPER THICK

If you can't respect me you should at least respect yourself.

Last edited by PaCrappa; 23 Nov 2010 at 02:08 PM.

6. This is so nice I think we should do it at least once

And when we're done with that it's time to get stony!

Last edited by PaCrappa; 23 Nov 2010 at 02:14 PM.

7. Awesome! A lot of those I haven't heard before.

8. The buildup in this one is out of control.

More Jazz than Soul I guess but who cares.
    Last edited by FirstBlood; 23 Nov 2010 at 02:21 PM.

9. James Brown has another good thing for y'all!

This song is the ultimate harsh toke in music imo

HOLY SHIT! I've had this on a record for years. Never seen it on the web before. No jive GIMME FIVE if you're not a pencilneck bedwetter.

BTW, there's an equally cool but very different song by the same name by Flip Nunez. I don't seem to see it on the internet but you ladies and gentlemen of good taste would do well to find it on vinyl. The album is called "My Own Time And Space" and unfortunately there's just the one good song
    Last edited by PaCrappa; 23 Nov 2010 at 02:30 PM.

10. I love those funky drum beats!

And speaking of stone thing, this thread would be incomplete without some Sly.