Thread: TNL Mokey Club: Duck, You Sucker

1. TNL Mokey Club: Duck, You Sucker

AKA Once Upon a Time...The Revolution.

It was only four or five years ago that I finally warmed up to the western genre. My pop was always a fan and I can recall many childhood saturday afternoons spent having to sit through John Wayne or James Stewart movies. I didn't get the attraction. We have motorcycles and hot rods. Who the fuck wants to ride a stinky old horse? However, there were some films I didn't mind though, and they pretty much all had this guy in them who looked a lot like Dirty Harry.
    Those movies seemed a bit different. I wouldn't have called them gritty because I didn't really know the word, but they were definitely a bit off kilter than most of the cowboy movies I had seen. For one, the good guys were just as dirty and prone to misdeeds as the bad guys were! That guy who kept going from one band of outlaws to the other and playing the sides against each other didn't wear pristine clothes and a clean shaven face. There was something more dangerous about these films. I still thought horses were for faggots, but I could respect a guy who rode into town and raped one of the first women he saw.

So like I said, a few years ago I decided I wanted to get into Westerns and start a collection. The first thing I bought was The Man with No Name Trilogy. The second thing I bought was Once Upon a Time in The West. I eventually saw Once Upon a Time In America. It was only a few months ago that I found out Leone had another film that sat between the two Once Upon a Times. That film is this film.

James Coburn and Rod Steiger star in this film about an Irish explosives expert and the Mexican bandito who forces him to blow up a bank, not knowing that the valuables kept inside aren't what he expected. Things spiral out of control from there.

This film didn't explode upon the scene to critical or financial success, but I like it. It's got a nice mix of action, drama, and comedy. Like all of Leone's films it's beautifully shot and to top it off, it has a great Morricone soundtrack.

Trailer:

It should be on instant watch. Go watch it.

Click for full size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcginnis_duck_you_sucker.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	59081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	james_coburn_duck_you_suckers.png 
Views:	458 
Size:	854.4 KB 
ID:	59082  
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 30 Nov 2010 at 06:13 PM.

I've never heard of it, but that is one fucking awesome movie poster.

3. Here is the Fedex ground guy who goes to work and who loves Western's list of top Western's:

A Fistful of Dollars
    A Man Called Horse
    Angel and the Badman
    Barbarossa
    Bite the Bullet
    Blazzing Saddles
    Broken Arrow
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Cheyenne Social Club
    Dances with Wolves
    El Dorado
    For a Few Dollars More
    Fort Apache
    High noon
    High Plains Drifter
    Hombre
    Jerimah Johnson
    Last of the Mohicans
    Little Big Man
    Lonesome Dove
    Magnificent Seven
    Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    McLintock
    My Darling Clementine
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Open Range
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Oxbow Incident
    Pale Rider
    Quigley Down Under
    Rio Grande
    Rio Lobo
    Shane

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Silverado
    Stagecoach
    Support Your Local Gunfighter
    Support your Local Sheriff
    The Cowboyws
    The Good, the Bad, the Ugly
    The Gunfighter
    The Mountain men
    The Sacketts
    The Searchers
    The Shootist
    The Wild Bunch
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    True Grit
    Unforgiven
    Westworld
    Take in mind some are just based off stuff like Indians but that's his list.

4. This is a genre I have not dabbled in enough. Great pick!

5. Really? arjue, I am dissapoint.

Good Pick, SSJN. Although, this is my least favorite Leone film. But, any Leone movie is better than 90% of other movies.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Also two things: My beef with this movie is it doesn't know how to end. The cut I first saw is the 156 min cut, which is on IW. If you get the 2-disc DVD, it has the 138 minute European release cut, I prefer that one, but there's still kind of like two climaxes in this movie, where TGBU & OUTIW both have clear definitive climaxes at the end. And don't watch the 121 American cut, it leaves out too much shit and doesn't fix the end.

And two: Leone named this Duck You Sucker in English, because he thought that was some common phrase like Jive Turkey or something.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. DUCK [spoiler]YOU SUCKER!![spoiler]

It's a little more campy than the other 2 in the trilogy, but Movie is pretty rad... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    but there's still kind of like two climaxes in this movie
    what a coincidence, just last night when I thought your mom had reached her peak, she kept going on and on until she hit that second summit

8. Hmmm, I guess if you had at least an average size penis, it wouldn't have taken so long. You must remind your wife of back home.

Also, best quote about revolutions in anything ever
    I know what I am talking about when I am talking about the revolutions. The people who read the books go to the people who can't read the books, the poor people, and say, "We have to have a change." So, the poor people make the change, ah? And then, the people who read the books, they all sit around the big polished tables, and they talk and talk and talk and eat and eat and eat, eh? But what has happened to the poor people? They're dead! That's your revolution. Shhh... So, please, don't tell me about revolutions!

9. dinga dinga. dink dink. dink dink. ding.

10. MUSICAS!