Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NASA Discovers Arsenic Bacteria

1. NASA Discovers Arsenic Bacteria

Source

The major finding announced today has fueled speculation recently that reached a fever pitch after the agency said the finding "will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life."

While the discovery is not extraterrestrial life, NASA has indeed uncovered an entirely new life form on our planet that "doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living" on Earth, Gizmodo reports.

Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.
    So basically, they found a life form which has DNA and structure unlike EVERYTHING else living on Earth. This is a very big deal. There's a video on the page I linked to, it's interesting if you care about INCREDIBLY CRAZY SHIT.

EDIT: there's also some more shorter entries about applications with this bacteria under the video, they are crazy if you know anything about Chemistry and Biology.
    Last edited by Opaque; 02 Dec 2010 at 02:56 PM.

2. cool beans!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Phosphorus and Arsenic are really similar so it's not totally shocking. It is cool how life just finds a way to happen though

4. I always got a chuckle every time somebody would talk about having to find Earth-like planets to search for life. Dude, for all we know there could be life on a star. It seemed foolish to restrict the search to "life that matches us".

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    Dude, for all we know there could be life on a star.
    The crazy part is, statistically speaking, we are more likely to find life on a star than anywhere else given their mass.

6. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    Phosphorus and Arsenic are really similar so it's not totally shocking. It is cool how life just finds a way to happen though

7. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    It is cool how life just finds a way to happen though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0c16bb4b3c987c66dc1b1b0cdf1fe246.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	59101  
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. Fuck you Mark Ryan.

9. Someone should post a picture of Jeff Goldblum or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."