Page 1 of 13 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Deodorants

1. Deodorants

I'm sick of always having yellow stains on my white undershirts. I looked into it and saw that the discoloring is caused by aluminum, the main ingredient in most antipersperants. I've looked into a few non-aluminum antipersperants but at $18 for a 2 oz. roll-on there just has to be a better option.

I've also used Speed Stick's stainguard brand and it sucks. I have to apply it once every 3-4 hours just to stop any sweat from forming. It also cakes on pretty nastily. Any suggestions?

2. I use Gillette deodorants because those are the only ones I've tried which last longer than a couple hours and don't suck, but I just looked and the one I have contains aluminum. I have no suggestions for you, though I've noticed this problem before as well and it's interesting to know why, so thanks for the info.

3. Mexicans wear deodorant?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. Just as much as we wear your mother.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I've looked into a few non-aluminum antipersperants but at $18 for a 2 oz. roll-on there just has to be a better option.
    Amazon says $3 to you.

Arm & Hammer
    Herbal Clear
    Tom's

EDIT: I've never bought anything here. But also you need about tree-fiddy.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 06 Dec 2010 at 12:30 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

The reason why so many deodorants contain aluminum is because it fucking works at stopping sweat. No matter what alternatives you try, Ramon, you're not going to find one that works as well.

Buy new undershirts, scrub.
    Or sweat.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

7. I don't mind the sweat as much as I mind the odor. I use Speedstick 24/7 that fucking stops everything COLD. I've been on it for about two years now and it's legit. However it kills my white tees. At $10 a tee, the habit gets expensive.

8. Then buy a deodorant and not an antiperspirant.

Or make it yourself. Seriously.

Most people assume that there is not much difference between antiperspirant and deodorant, but you might be surprised. Antiperspirants use chemicals to obstruct pores, which prevents the release of perspiration. Deodorants, on the other hand, allow perspiration to occur but counteract the odor.
    Many people worry that they will offend others if they forego using antiperspirant. Even if they use a deodorant to minimize unpleasant odor, they may be uncomfortable with appearing “sweaty” or fear that they are just covering up one smell with another.

Contrary to popular opinion, most deodorants do not just cover up odor with fragrance. They actually have antiseptic properties that work to kill bacteria, which is what causes odor to begin with.
    However, both products may have adverse effects on your health. Some medical professionals believe that blocking the pores and obstructing the body’s natural method of lowering body temperature is unhealthy. More important, many believe that the chemicals used in antiperspirants, specifically aluminum compounds, may be linked to serious health problems.

While the subject continues to encounter heated debate, at least a handful of studies show a connection between the regular use of antiperspirant and the risk of breast cancer. At least one study shows the risk to be elevated if antiperspirant is applied directly after shaving underarms.

There is also research that indicates that aluminum compounds can be absorbed into the blood stream, and eventually build up in the brain. Researchers have tied this phenomenon to the increase in cases of Alzheimer’s disease.

Deodorant was believed to be a safer alternative, but a new study links parabens found in many deodorants to breast cancer as well. One study used autopsy results from women who died of breast cancer, which discovered parabens in their breast tissue. For many professionals as well as consumers, this is enough of a correlation to cause concern.

Some members of the medical community are not convinced that there is any validity to these concerns. Healthcare professionals and some health agencies claim the cited studies are flawed, and believe that any danger thought to be caused by antiperspirants or deodorants is just a myth. However, there are strong arguments on both sides of this issue.

This subject is likely to be debated for some time, and further study is indicated. In the mean time, consumer watchdogs as well as some health professionals advise consumers to reconsider using antiperspirants. They also advise checking deodorant labels to insure that they do not contain parabens.

Increasing questions about the safety of everyday products have led many people to choose natural alternatives. Natural deodorants are available in many health stores and online, and may provide a healthier choice. Consumers should still read labels to insure that such products do not contain dangerous chemicals. Not everything that is advertised as “natural” is made from 100% natural ingredients.

Some people have gone so far as to make homemade natural deodorant, mixing equal parts of baking soda and cornstarch and adding a few drops of essential oil for fragrance. This mixture can be applied by dabbing it on with a damp cloth. This concoction washes away easily and is believed to be a safer alternative than some of the commercial products available today.
    And here's where you can get a recipe.

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_deodorant_recipe
    Last edited by Advocate; 06 Dec 2010 at 01:08 AM.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

9. I've always used Old Spice and never had a problem, but I'm not mexican so I probably don't sweat nearly enough.

I use som Tom's deodorant that smells like Indian food. It's awesome.