Page 29 of 92 FirstFirst ... 152527282930313343 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

1. I've got the first set of dark brotherhood but I just started up the thieves guild.

I can't wait for the better armor. I'm like a little kid over here all excited and shit.

2. Can't get enough thieving irl?
    I debated buying this all day and kmart's buy one get one half off sale almost had me. I just can't do it though. Like Zelda, I've bought just about all the elder scrolls but they just don't do it for me.

I love this game. This may just be the best game Bethesda has ever done.

Except for the PC UI. It's a buggy awkward mess. It seems like 75% of the menus don't reflect any rebindings you do, so you have to work out which functions are duplicated and remember them. Also, don't try binding POV to a mouse button - that makes it impossible to mark favourite items for the quick menu.

But apart from that frustration, I'm loving every second of this. There's always something interesting on the horizon. The skill trees are some of the best I've ever seen, always encouraging me to get those one or two more points I need for the next perk. The game runs like a dream on my system, at a flawless 60fps with 4xAA. This is easily my GOTY.

The console controls look pretty good. If you can play the PC version with a 360 controller and have it be the same as on a 360, I think that's the best of both worlds right there.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

The controls are fine, it's just the way the UI doesn't reflect changes in most menus that is the problem.

6. The UI is obviously designed around a controller so I tried it that way for a bit. I decided that the mouse+keyboard is preferable just because of the hotkeys. I found myself going to that quick menu every few seconds on a pad versus very infrequently with a keyboard. Basic warrior classes probably have it easier but I really like the magey-mage stuff.

Also, the menus are easily navigated with a keyboard so it's nowhere near the bullshit in something like Borderlands. Once they fix the keybinding bugs it'll be a big improvement over vanilla Oblivion and Fallout 3.

PS switch the left/right mouse bindings so that left clicking uses your left hand. Makes it soooooo much more intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    This may just be the best game Bethesda has ever done.
    I think I agree with this. Incredible.

edit: TNL, you should totally use that ritual stone thing that allows you to zombify shit around you once per day. The radius is pretty big and casting it after murdering a half-dozen mages/vampires/whatever is BANANAS.
    Last edited by epmode; 14 Nov 2011 at 12:17 AM.

my boy picked this up and was telling me about it. i hated(got stuck and gave up) oblivion so i wrote skyrim off. but it looks good, and when i get a chance to buy another xbox, im def picking it up.

2 stories he told me. he was by a river and saw a guy, floating down the edge of the river screaming his head off. he lands and runs back the way he floated from.

He killed a dragon, the skin melted off. it came back to life as a undead/invincible dragon and followed him around for 40 min before he reloaded.

those 2 stories made me want to play skyrim.

8. If you're playing on the PC, install this and use the settings some guy worked out under comments:
    http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131

Makes the colors pop and adds a bit of other subtle things that really enhance the look of the game.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

9. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Yeah, the only problem is that when you use Embrace of Shadows and go in a house, it shuts off. It still counts that you used it during that day though! And finding someone asleep is a major pain in the ass. I sneak into a house and turn invisible, and they hear me. I go near a door sneaking while invisible, and they hear me. Skyrim must have some sort of Nord/ninja hybrid all over it, I guess.
    Yeah, sneaking was hard until you hit about 30 sneak and can pick up that perk that decreases sound from armor by 50 percent. Once you get over that hurdle it becomes much easier. And getting sneak attacks on enemies increases your sneak skill by a huge amount. Try sneaking nekkid and move slowly even in crouch, maybe that will help. Or maybe casting invisible makes sound? You shouldn't really need invisible if everyone's asleep.

Man. Love this game. Tried to like Morrowind and Fallout 3 but just couldn't do it. So glad I gave this one a shot.

Noticed that pumping up my 100 smithing skill with a smithing potion prior to upgrading actually improved the stats of the item even though they're both listed as legendary.

Found a cheap weapon with soul sucking on it for sale, so I disenchanted it and put it on my glass dagger. Now I can get into enchanting and put all these empty soul gems to work.

10. I've completed a few of the Daedric quests. Molag Bal, Meridia, and Nocturnal(thieves guild) They are really well done. I've also tried to do Azura's quest but got my ass handed to me countless times and went back to an older save.

I was playing pretty late last night and did Molag Bal's House of Horrors quest back to back with The Dark Brotherhood's Whisper In The Dark. Fucking CREEPY!
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.