Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

1. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    sigh:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/16/be...tty-far-along/

"Additionally, he pointed out that the upcoming project will run on existing consoles and is built on the same engine that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3."

RAAAGGGGEEE
    Eh, it does make sense. id's technology isn't even in a shipping game yet, and 2-3 years ago (when they started working on this) it was probably just extremely early. Look at Bloodlines postmortems to see what a pain in the ass working with someone else's in-development engine can be.

Hopefully they went in there and added some features that would make the game look more up to date (like... environmental shadows).

2. Can't wait to run through those barren, plain fields. See the dead-eye soulless citizentry. Bug the shit out of this 'huge' 'immersive' 'realistic' world.

(F'reals, I love me some Elder Scrolls, but fuck all if I can't recognize what a damn mess the series [and Bethesda's execution in games] is)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    sigh:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/16/be...tty-far-along/

"Additionally, he pointed out that the upcoming project will run on existing consoles and is built on the same engine that powered Oblivion and Fallout 3."

RAAAGGGGEEE
    Big damn deal. If they *need* better tech to do it right, they'll never do it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

4. Fallout New Vegas looks pretty amazing out of the box on the PC, and there are mods to make it equal to just about any upcoming game. The question is will the gameplay and design suck as much as it did in Oblivion.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    I can't blame them, but LOL NO THANKS.

6. I don't understand how people can pass on these games because of the engine they use when the engine doesn't exactly make the games unplayable. I did both Oblivion (150 hours) and Fallout 3 (80 hours) on Xbox originally and I not once had the games freeze or lock up on me. I replayed Oblivion on PC all modded out, and again nothing happened. Then I played New Vegas on PC and modded it all out and my only problem ever was mod related, not engine related.

What are you guys doing wrong that you hate these exceptional games so much just because of their engine? Shit does not make sense to me.

I love all of these games, and my complaints about the engine have nothing to do with bugs. I want DirectX 11 to be pushed by a game of the inevitable quality of Elder Scrolls. That's the source of my irritation. I don't want 5 year-old tech so that a 360 can try to keep up.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I love all of these games, and my complaints about the engine have nothing to do with bugs. I want DirectX 11 to be pushed by a game of the inevitable quality of Elder Scrolls. That's the source of my irritation. I don't want 5 year-old tech so that a 360 can try to keep up.
    While portability is an issue, of course, it's not the issue, in this case. With a game like this, so much of the development time is spent on tools (or not spent, if they are reused) that it's really not worth it to start over with new tech. The existing renderer can be upgraded to support DX11 features much more easily than they can adapt UE3 to the workflow that they need to populate the open world of Elder Scrolls, let alone build something from scratch. It's more about the tools than the "engine" itself. Remember, Crysis 2 is being made with portability in mind, and hasn't seemed to sacrifice technology to that end. It's pretty easy to make a scalable renderer these days.

idTech 5 seems like the kind of tech that could potentially be well suited to this sort of game out of the box, but as others have mentioned it probably wasn't at the level of readiness they needed, when they needed it. And even then a lot of tools they use for things like procedurally populating terrain would have to be re-written, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 12 Dec 2010 at 02:21 PM.

9. The Bethesda Twitter feed sez that it's a brand new engine.

http://twitter.com/bethblog

10. Well there you go, everyone can stop crying now