Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music Club.

1. Music Club.

I'm picking 2 things. This is the first.

Gulaggh - Vorkuta
    Gulaggh is the newer incarnation of a harsh noise group originally called Stalaggh. No one knows the identities of the musicians involved, or even how many there are. Where Stalaggh was based on ultra distorted sine waves and effects, Gulaggh is entirely acoustic instruments. The story behind the vocals is that they are mentally ill children engaged in scream therapy. This ultra pretentious and a bit silly, but if you're willing to let it do it's thing it's also very effective. It's not so much music as sound-art.

Listen to a few minutes, see what it is, then skip forward to the 20 minute mark and let it go for a few minutes. Things happen.

Since this is so abrasive and unmusical I'll select some actual music as well. I just ask you to try this this one time and check out some of the worst the underground has to offer.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. I just youtubed a "track" from this and it sounds like background noise for a Silent Hill game minus the music.

3. It's one long song.

Preferably, listen to the whole thing. Or listen to it like I said. Don't just listen to 2 minutes. It's not composed like any album you've heard. You're not gonna get anything out of it like that.
    Boo, Hiss.

This sounds like it's going to be about as art house as this:

Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. I wish that movie would stop appearing in my daily life.

blueneck?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

7. Quick much?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. Nevermind the rep, I found it.

05 mins in - What I imagine Albert Fish hears while driving needles into his perineum.
    13 mins in - OK, the screaming is bullshit. What is this, Roger Waters?
    20 mins in - someone can play the snare drum.
    21 mins in - Jazz sax!
    23 mins in - lets tune our instruments!
    24 mins in - Oh hey! We're back in the haunted house!
    25 mins in - there's an ape in the haunted house!
    28 mins in - I have 17 more minutes of this freak show left?
    35 mins in - Is the screaming's over? It's been eleven FUCKING mins!! Oh great... now moaning.
    40 mins in - the screaming is finally over! now is time for more instrument tuning and snare drum pounding.
    44 mins in - Oh hey an intercom! And rain! Oh that's nice.
    45 mins in - it's over, yay!

This tells no story, has no music quality and the amount of ludicrous screaming for minutes and minutes on end lose it's effect entirely. It's not scary, nor shocking, nor moving. To start off, the focus of the score is the fifteen or so minutes of screaming which came off amateur at best -- volunteer haunted house bullshit that verged on roller-coaster-thrill-time at moments! The rest is some amateur kind of instrument playing that could have very well been performed by a pack of trained monkeys. When the shit slinging stopped, no where had I felt I went. I looked down and was in my same chair, in my same shoes, my mind was in the same place it was at min one; I learned, I heard, I felt -- nothing. At no point in this forty-five minute ear rape was there ever a sliver of talent, structure, or vision. For that reason, I award your album no spades. -

EDIT: This is what popped up on my playlist after that fuckfest. It's amateur remixing and STILL ten times better.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 20 Dec 2010 at 10:00 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. Oh, and those weren't mental children in psycho-therapy, they were kids in an amusement park.

10. Yeah I heard amusement park as well. So did my girlfriend when I played three minutes of this for her and she asked if the guy who chose it was an asshole.

Ten internets if you correctly guess my response.