Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limited Edition Prints: Would anyone be interested?

1. This is the image I have had a lot of people comment on. I know $55 may seem a little much, but that's why I plan on making them a limited print (only 10-25).

I don't mind at all if anyone wouldn't want to purchase one. Art is all subjective, and some people just aren't into it as much as others. If I do go about doing this, I would just like to be able to sell all of them, so I wanted to see if anyone here would be interested. No pressure.

I did make a Facebook page for my photography. I need to update it. I also made my actual Facebook page public, so anyone should theoretically be able to look at all my photos and info. I pretty much just use it as my photo page and don't post anything too personal.

As far as the quality of the print itself, I use an Epson 3800 that can print up to 17x22. The nice thing about printing yourself is you can fine tune it and fix any problems rather than having someone else doing it for you and then having to wait to get it back, retouch, send off, and wait to get it back again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ANP 002b.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	638.9 KB 
ID:	59289  
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 18 Dec 2010 at 06:18 PM.

2. Have you tried contacting any local restaurants or coffee shops or bars to see if they would let you show your stuff? I know some people around here who have had some limited success doing that. At the very least, it got them much more exposure (lol a pun!) at the local level.

3. Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC View Post
    Have you tried contacting any local restaurants or coffee shops or bars to see if they would let you show your stuff? I know some people around here who have had some limited success doing that. At the very least, it got them much more exposure (lol a pun!) at the local level.
    I mentioned that earlier. New bars are more than willing to do that type of thing. They need as much exposure as you do and would be more open to this type of idea.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. I think I am going to go ahead and do this shortly after the holidays. So the deal would be a limited print of 25 at 11x16 for $55 + shipping. I can assure that the print quality is the best it can be, and these will be the only prints ever made at this size. Once again, no pressure. If anyone is interested, then that would be great.

I am also going to take the other advice to heart. Thanks everyone, and thanks to anyone who would maybe be interested.
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 23 Dec 2010 at 11:48 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by ElCapichan View Post
    This is the image I have had a lot of people comment on. I know $55 may seem a little much, but that's why I plan on making them a limited print (only 10-25).
    You set what you're worth. This is a niche, specialty market. $55 dollars for a custom limited edition ElCapichan is reasonable. If you start giving your time away for $20 people will think you're worth $20. Figure out your cost for the print, time involved and mark that up 40 - 50%. That's your price.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCapichan View Post
    I think I am going to go ahead and do this shortly after the holidays. So the deal would be a limited print of 25 at 11x16 for $50 + shipping. I can assure that the print quality is the best it can be, and these will be the only prints ever made at this size. Once again, no pressure. If anyone is interested, then that would be great.

I am also going to take the other advice to heart. Thanks everyone, and thanks to anyone who would maybe be interested.
    People love pictures of animals. You have a ton of awesome animal photography posted in the Photography Thread. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 23 Dec 2010 at 11:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Here's an update for what I plan to do about these. There will be a total of 25 numbered made to order prints. In order to accommodate more common frame sizes, I went down from the 12x18 to 8x12, but the photo will be matted to fit an 11x14 frame, so I am still trying to come up with the right price. And of course, the back of the photo will be signed and numbered. I am also thinking about coming up with a certificate of authenticity to add in there.
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 08 Jan 2011 at 01:23 PM.

7. Just my 2 cents. I would be more willing to buy prints (especially at that price) if they were output from something like print shops have for color proofing instead of a desktop printer. Although I am well aware of what your ink costs are going to be. Did you ever think of using one of those sites we mentioned in the video game art thread? People were making poster size prints for <$15 online.

On another tangent, you should for sure be doing this. An ex of mine quit her job when she had her kid and does portraits now. She charges a minimum $50 sitting fee. She has no lenses, no hardware, just a digital camera and rattles off 1000 photos. They look like asshole and people are lining up for her. It's unbelievable. She's got a Facebook page for her "studio." You at least know what you're doing.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    Just my 2 cents. I would be more willing to buy prints (especially at that price) if they were output from something like print shops have for color proofing instead of a desktop printer. Although I am well aware of what your ink costs are going to be. Did you ever think of using one of those sites we mentioned in the video game art thread? People were making poster size prints for <$15 online.
    I use a professional printer, not some cheap desktop printer for printing college papers. As I mentioned earlier, it is an Epson 3800 that can print up to 17x22 using professional lustre, matter, and glossy paper (I'm actually thinking of using Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta paper). It is a printer that print shops would use.

At the studio, we actually have a printer that can print poster size images, but I don't plan on using that as the cost would be too high for people to want to buy. 8x12 in an 11x14 mat is more reasonable.
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 10 Jan 2011 at 01:20 PM.