Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam Holiday Sale 2010

1. Yoshi's right. If you can run SC2 at a decent detail level, ME2 won't be a problem.

BTWTW, this is probably annoying PC shit to a lot of you but I've found out that you can get significantly improved load times in ME2 by doing this:

Launch the game. Alt-tab out, start the task manager. Click on the Processes tab, right-click on the Mass Effect 2 EXE, go to Set Affinity. Uncheck all cores but one, OK. Right-click on the EXE again, Set Affinity, check <All Processors>, OK.

There's apparently some Unreal Engine 3 bug that screws around with processor affinity and doing this corrects it. The game runs fine without it but I REALLY LIKE short load times!

edit: This might only help with dual core systems, not sure about quads and above.
    Last edited by epmode; 23 Dec 2010 at 03:02 PM.

2. Kinda want DR2 but not that much, same with Alpha Protocol. The reviews are like: typical unpolished sega/capcom effort. The difference for me between the two, zombies. I'm a little afraid of try Mass Effect1/2, everyone loved KotR and I didn't, now the same problem is coming up with ME2
    Last edited by MarsKitten; 23 Dec 2010 at 04:38 PM.

ME and KoTOR are significantly different. It depends on what you didn't like about KoTOR. ME is much more action oriented.

4. Quote Originally Posted by MarsKitten View Post
    Kinda want DR2 but not that much, same with Alpha Protocol. The reviews are like: typical unpolished sega/capcom effort. The difference for me between the two, zombies. I'm a little afraid of try Mass Effect1/2, everyone loved KotR and I didn't, now the same problem is coming up with ME2
    I didn't love KotOR, but I adore Mass Effect. For what it's worth.

5. Maybe that's my problem I like actiony, but that's because I've been spoiled with games that had either good writing (Braid, Portal), amusing writing (Recettear, Portal) or good storytelling (Portal, Fallout 3). Other than that I'm beginning to feel unless the plot is central it should be relegated to a brief paragraph in the manual. Otherwise its just another superfluous element that is competing for budget time/dollars with the gameplay.

6. The games share very little in common outside of polish and the moral/speech systems.

7. I'm not a huge fan of Mass Effect 1 but the one thing it definitely does better than 2 is the story. I love the universe so much.

I wound up buying Alpha Protocol just because of all the good things I hear about the writing and dialogue trees. If the game itself is total crap, I don't have a problem with cheating my way through it.
    Last edited by epmode; 23 Dec 2010 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsKitten View Post
    Kinda want DR2 but not that much, same with Alpha Protocol. The reviews are like: typical unpolished sega/capcom effort. The difference for me between the two, zombies. I'm a little afraid of try Mass Effect1/2, everyone loved KotR and I didn't, now the same problem is coming up with ME2
    Did you play the first Dead Rising? I don't think 2 is unpolished but it is mostly more of the same. I lost interest in both part way through.

Alpha Protocol is unpolished. It's basically half story (with dialogue choices that have some effect on the game) and half third-person shooter with RPG-style upgrade choices and really dumb enemies. I still enjoyed it for what it was but it doesn't live up to its ambitions.

I agree with those saying Mass Effect 1/2 and KotOR are quite different, especially in the battle systems. I enjoyed both but KotOR is buggier and starts off slower so maybe ME would be easier to get into, assuming you find the theme appealing.

9. I couldn't stand the KotOR games. They were as Neo said, slow and buggy. I also didn't really care for ME1 but ME2 gripped me with a vengeance. I think it was the fact it was more a 3rd person shooter with RPG trimmings whereas the first was an RPG with 3ps trimmings.

10. I bought Flashpoint because it was $3 and my credit card company called me because of 'suspicious activity.' I heard the game was bad, but I didn't think it was that bad.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2