Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNL Music Club Week #3 - Scars of the Midwest / Uhh!! Ohh!!

1. TNL Music Club Week #3 - Scars of the Midwest / Uhh!! Ohh!!

2006's Scars of the Midwest is neither new nor daring. It's ambient, dynamic British music akin to Sigur Ros and Radiohead and probably falling short on both accounts.

But, I was pinched for time and these are friends of mine and my ethics aren't as high as Josh so I'm shillin' their shit for across the pond exposure.

I still listen to it on a regular basis, despite the later half not being as strong.

This is a single from their new album. I did not upload that one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1112423476.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	59337  
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 20 Dec 2010 at 08:34 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Cool! I like it.

Name:  splack-pack-intro--it-aint-nuttin-hoe.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  17.7 KB

And since some people require lyrics to their music, as an alternative I've also uploaded Splack Pack's first release - Uhh!!! Ohh!!!

A tough record with rougher lyrics, this 1993 hip hop album came out in the dying days of the music labeled as 'Gangsta Rap'. For that reason, they may have never made it, for it sure isn't for a lack of quick, hard-hitting rhymes detailing the daily struggles of African Americans on the street.

The majority of the disc is quick delivered, neck-breaking, blow outs ...but for a sample to get you started, I chose this slow ballad.

Between these two, I believe you'll agree I have chosen a winner.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 20 Dec 2010 at 11:38 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Nice picks! Syncing them up now
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

4. Went ahead and put up the second set as well -- Same formula, new music, better studio, and a sound that feels more developed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-fallen-host300.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	59346  

5. I'm enjoying Blueneck.

It seems familiar for some reason, but I can't quite put my finger on what it sounds like.

So far this sounds like the soundtrack to some kind of creepy/sad movie. Some lyrical context would help. (Judas Judas) It feels like some kind of tense thriller. It also sounds a little too dramatic for something called scars of the midwest.

Third track is better, and I like how it develops up and around the piano part, but that boring little piano line is so plodding. The buildup and climax are pretty good though and it finishes out nicely with the chime-like synth.

Aight by track 4 I'm pretty much digging this. I see a once beautiful clearing and I hear wind in rusted metal ruins. It's all shining and haunted.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 21 Dec 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

7. I had this playing while I did some Portal hard levels.

It went together well.

I know I always do this, compare bands, but blueneck reminds me of the besnard lakes. And I like it.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

9. I just cannot get into this (scars of the midwest) type of ambient rock music. If I want ambient, I don't want singing. It always ruins it for me. Every time the guy stops singing and the instruments build up he comes back in and ruins it for me.