Thread: TNL Music Club Week #4 - Faraquet - The View From This Tower

1. TNL Music Club Week #4 - Faraquet - The View From This Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Moodswings Music
    I first downloaded this album on Napster (R.I.P.) back when it was released and was stunned by the huge quality of both songwriting & musical skills of this band. I then bought it and since that moment i keep listening to it on a regular basis... it simply became one of my "desert island" records. So, here we have three punk musicians with real brains between the ears, the result is complicated music to make but not to listen to... I recommanded this album to many people in the past years, everybody liked it especially progressive rock lovers to whom i describe it as "modern fusion of Police & King Crimson" and it's still for me the best way to describe such perfect music... Try it, you won't regret it !
    The most underrated band on Discord Records. Intricate, rhythmic songwriting and extremely accessible. People love to label it "math-rock" but fuck that faggot shit, it's just good.

1. Cut Self Not
    2. Carefully Planned
    3. Fourth Introduction
    4. Song for Friends to Me
    5. Conceptual Separation of Self
    6. Study Complacency
    7. Sea Song
    8. View from This Tower
    9. Missing Piece
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.JPG 
Views:	1511 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	59499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_8065e936fe6f4cc696afa0b53b6abd0b.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	59500  

2. Reminds me of Q and Not U kind of.

I like it so far. Not as much as Andrew Bird, though

3. Three listens and I really like this.

I think my favorite song is the title track, it's got my favorite drumming. What is everyone's favorite? Oh wait, none of you fuckers seems to be listening to this.

Q IS another dischord label band...

I'm listening.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. I also listened to this last night.

It's way outside my normal listening habits, but I really enjoyed it. There's just so much going on. They tend to ride this really fine line between too-fiddly and still-accessible-to-a-noob, which is something I find other mathy bands struggle with, personally. I'm generally very impatient with music - if it doesn't engage me in some way almost immediately, I'll pass.

I'll definitely be playing this out a few more times before I make my mind up, but so far I really like it.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

6. I was sold at Discord, but this is sweetness!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. And before Josh comes in here and rails on me for DEP, Faraquet does not have to scream to impress.

EDIT: and DEP was a bad comparison. Reminds me more of At The Drive In. I liked At The Drive In.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 07 Jan 2011 at 11:40 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Yeah it's good. I thought I said that already. But it is.

One day I need to go through the entire Dischord catalog
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

9. This is a really good record. If you dig them, try out the Medications. It's two of the three guys in Faraquet, with a bit more pop in the songwriting, but loses none of the intricacy.