Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    One of my big problems with the current state of FF is how incredibly bad the art design is in the current versions. Everything is stupidly, laughably over-designed.
    This extends to story as well.

XIII-2 is just hideous characters in a story that is trying way too hard. I mean, really, the story in that game is the most absurd and uninspired thing they've thrown out so far.

Wake me up when they go back to a more fantasy-style setting and have more charming character designs. Basically when they make a game like IX.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    XIII-2 is just hideous characters in a story that is trying way too hard. I mean, really, the story in that game is the most absurd and uninspired thing they've thrown out so far.
    Agreed. I love the battle system and the ideas in place, but the terrible story completely killed any motivation to move forward in the game, which is sad considering I played, beat and enjoyed the first XIII.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Wake me up when they go back to a more fantasy-style setting and have more charming character designs. Basically when they make a game like IX.
    I want to kiss you for this post.

I want to let you.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. Then I point out FFXIV as having those things and then you hate Square even more.

7. Is there any hope for that game at this stage? I was intrigued by its UO-like skill system.

8. Yes? It depends on how hopeless you originally thought it was. They've made a shit ton of changes to the game, like increased ease of leveling, having advanced jobs, adding mounts, improving the combat, expanding the crafting and repair systems, adding end game content, making engine improvements (even though they're completely tossing it out in a few months) to help it run better and be easier to play and target things, and so on. The design team has stated they've been playing WoW and other Western MMOs to figure out what it is that people want in a PC UI, because they admitted they're console developers and have zero clue in that area. 2.0 will have two UIs, one for keyboard & mouse and one for controllers.

So there's a lot that's been fixed and a lot more that will be fixed (there's one more content patch coming in July and then they'll be rolling all future improvements into 2.0), but the underlying game is still a somewhat slow grind with very measured combat. It's much faster than FFXIV was at launch but still not to the speed of something like WoW. Whether they're able to really pull in a big audience with 2.0 remains to be seen, but I do think the PS3 launch will help them. They've also dropped hints that their engine could be ported to next-gen systems without too much trouble whenever Sony and MS announce those.

Vaguely related: FFXI has a new expansion coming out next year. The soul still burns.

I kind of want to play XI through just once, to see the content and whatnot but the one time I tried to under Geen's account after he quit the PC UI was just so miserable. I couldn't do it. Fuck numbering these MMOs. Worst decision ever.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Fuck numbering these MMOs. Worst decision ever.
    Damn straight. They should have made it an offshoot series, like Tactics. I know it doesn't really matter since the end result is the same... and yet, it does matter in an OCD way. Since I'm passing on XIV, it means there's a numbered FF that I will never play. Very bothersome.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.