Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed up your PC

I've got a 3.16 Ghz Intel Core2 duo with 3.25 GB of ram and this thing still runs like a turd. It's the fault of all the bullshit that IS forces on each computer. Symantec antivirus llol

2. are all your drives/cards connected through Monster cables? If not, that could be your problem.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. I've managed to keep my peecees running smoothly and virus free for the last decade with very little effort. I've never bothered with anti-virus software, because it seems to do more harm than good, and I don't do stupid shit that would get my machine infected in the first place. I currently run Windows Defender and just scan with MRT whenever I have cause for concern.
    MSE seems harmless enough, though, so I do install that when I'm setting up other peoples systems. One thing I can suggest for people that use MSE is to change the scanning behaviour of the program to exclude both of the actual MSE folders(the one in program folder and the other in the user folder), since scanning those can make the program slow to a crawl and eat up 99% of your CPU cycles. It seems to be a glitch of some kind, but it's been a problem in every version released so far.

I prefer to re-install my OS every time a new service pack comes out instead of just installing the service pack. I just grab an updated install disc image off the net and do a clean install. Most of my programs are cracked to be portable, and my documents are on another partition, so it only takes about an hour to get everything back up and running, which isn't much longer than the update alone would have taken. There are a bunch of little tweaks here and there that I have to repeat after a clean install, but it's not too much trouble, especially when I'm only doing it every year or two.

4. I currently run a cocktail of Registry Mechanic, Windows Defender, Malware Bytes, and Super Anti-Spyware.
    What would be a better mix?

5. OSX

6. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I prefer to re-install my OS every time a new service pack comes out instead of just installing the service pack.
    This is such a waste.

7. A waste of what?

8. Time.

You can have the same effect without all the time wasted if you just don't do things to fuck up your computer. Basically you just said that you buy a new car every time you need an oil change.

9. Your analogy sucks.

10. Do Macs suffer from slowdown as they get older the way PCs do? Because this is the fastest machine I've ever had in my life and I don't want it to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.