Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed up your PC

Does your perception of speed change over time? Yes.

2. You know that's not what I meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Search your feelings.

4. You're no fucking help.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Computer slowdown is caused by a rose tinted view of the past. Either that or you're an asshole.
    My MBP is still as fast is when I got it. Nobody has hacked in and stolen any of my gigahertz.

That slowdown can be caused by a lot of things, but it's mainly being bogged down with shitty startup programs and spyware, maybe super fragmented drives. It happens to mothers and sisters; shouldn't happen to you.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. Well, since Macs are immune to viruses, I will go ahead and assume that they are equally immune to spyware and anything else bad on the Internet and never give it another thought. It just works.

8. Make sure to install Bing search toolbar on your browser and Wild Tangent so you can play fun games!

9. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    Well, since Macs are immune to viruses
    Wrong.

Macs didn't have viruses because people didn't write viruses for them and Windows viruses obviously wouldn't work on them. There are absolutely Mac viruses out there now and there will continue to be since their market presence is skyrocketing.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Time.
    This is simply not the case. Installing windows is basically five minutes of my time and then the machine doing its thing for another half hour. Installing the service pack alone takes almost as long because of the mandatory file backup and restore point creation. A clean install has the added benefit of giving me a clean registry and file system, which no 'tune up' software can do 100% of the time.

You can have the same effect without all the time wasted if you just don't do things to fuck up your computer. Basically you just said that you buy a new car every time you need an oil change.
    No, I get a new car instead of having shit retrofitted onto my old car and hoping it doesn't fuck up. Besides, this is Windows we're talking about here. Sometimes it gets fucked up all on its own. On my system, for example, after a certain update, Windows Live Messenger would simply not run no matter what I did. Digging through log files and gathering as much data as possible from the event viewer, I was able to isolate the .dll that was causing the crash. As it turns out, it's a known issue which has gone unresolved for well over two years now. A clean install fixed that problem.