Page 1 of 12 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed up your PC

1. Speed up your PC

I know not everyone is super into PCs here, some of you just use them to post on the internet, but there's no reason you can't clean it up using big boy methods for adults. Most of you are probably familiar with most of this and some of you might have even better things to add, if so post them here, I'm always interested in better software.

1) Ccleaner

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!
    The first thing you want to do when you download this program is go to Options then Cookies and move anything you want to keep over to the right side, that way when you clean you won't log yourself out of sites you want to stay logged into like TNL or Netflix. Now run the cleaner and go to the registry tab and scan for / fix issues.

Next go to tools and startup. This list of exe files are non vital to system operation, so you are safe to remove anything that you don't want running on start up. So maybe you bought a laptop or a prebuilt computer and you don't want Compaq or HP bullshit slowing down your start up; get rid of it. Personally I only have Dropbox, ccleaner and my Antiviral on my list.

Ccleaner alone can work miracles on abused or neglected machines, it's a quick way to clean up family and work computers.

2) Defraggler

Most defrag tools only allow you to defrag an entire drive. Defraggler lets you specify one or more files, folders, or the whole drive to defragment.

When Defraggler reads or writes a file, it uses the exact same techniques that Windows uses. Using Defraggler is just as safe for your files as using Windows.

At a glance, you can see how fragmented your hard drive is. Defraggler's drive map shows you blocks that are empty, not fragmented, or needing defragmentation.

* Give your hard drive a quick touch-up with Quick Defrag
    * Organizes empty disk space to further prevent fragmentation
    * Defragment while you sleep - and wake up with a faster PC. Set Defraggler to run daily, weekly or monthly
    * Full Windows OS and Multi-lingual support
    * Boot time defrag of system files
    * Supports 37 major languages
    It might not be the best defragger out there, but it's definitely one of the best free ones, if not the best. You'll actually see the files move to the front of the disc, which most other free defraggers don't do. You can view the disk image with other defraggers and programs and see that it's not just placebo, they really are being moved.

3) Auslogics Registry Defrag

* Eliminates structural defects in the Registry
    * Reduces the Registry size and the amount of RAM the registry takes up
    * Improves applications response time
    * Makes Windows running more stable
    * Improves overall computer performance
    Now for the most part Cnet got it right when they called this snake oil, the differences it normally makes are unnoticeable. That being said, I've seen two or three machines that had completely fucked registries and this made an enormous difference, so there's a chance a slow running machine could benefit.

That being said, after you run it once, you probably never need to run it again unless you really fuck up computers.

4) EVGA Precision

EVGA Precision 2.0.1

EVGA, once again, sets itself apart from the rest with the EVGA Exclusive Precision Overclocking Utility. This program allows you to fine tune your EVGA graphics card for the maximum performance possible, with Core/Shader/Memory clock tuning, real time monitoring support including in-game, Logitech Keyboard LCD Display support, and compatibility with almost all EVGA graphics cards.

Features:

* Independent or Synchronous control for fan and clock settings in a multi-GPU system
    * Allows up to 10 profiles, and ability to assign hotkeys to these profiles to allow in-game
    * Ability to view temperatures in the system tray
    * Fan profiling system
    * Core/Shader Clock Link/Unlink capability
    * Fan Speed manual or auto adjustment
    * Real-Time on-screen display support for ingame temp, framerate, and clock monitoring
    * Logitech Keyboard LCD Display support
    * In-app temp/clockspeed monitoring of GPU's
    * Information button shows device, driver, memory size, BIOS Revision and SLI mode
    A very nice tool for overclocking and watching GPU temerature and such. You'll need to google your card, but you can do some impressive things with most of the new ones. Using my GTX470 I go from 625 on my core clock to 715 when playing games and there's not even a need to change voltage. That's a pretty big deal. I'm not familiar with a comparable ATI program since I don't use their cards, but maybe someone else can recommend one?

Anyone have anything else they can recommend that's free? Post it here.

2. I put flame stickers on mine it gives it like 200mhz

I did this on my work PC. Still runs like a dinosaur dick.

4. Get a new dinosaur dick.

Unlikely.

6. I dunno. I generally just tell people to not install stupid bullshit and use MSE for antivirus.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I did this on my work PC. Still runs like a dinosaur dick.
    An old busted machine will still be an old busted machine.

How much stuff did CCleaner find and how fragmented was your drive before running the defragger? Did you notice any difference at all with start up?

8. Next thing you can do Josh is get to controll panel and then device manager and go through all your devices one by one and right click, then choose to update drivers. Let it search online, and it will install for you; you could hit gold if it's a work machine no one ever updates.

Then run Chkdsk:

How to run Chkdsk
    Notes

* Chkdsk requires exclusive access to a volume when it runs. Therefore, if one or more of the files are open on the disk that you want to check, Chkdsk displays a prompt asking if you want schedule the disk check for the next time that you restart your computer.
    * Chkdsk might take a long time to run, depending on the number of files and folders, the size of the volume, disk performance, and available system resources, such as processor and memory.
    * Chkdsk might not accurately report information in read-only mode.

How to run Chkdsk at the command prompt

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    3. Use one of the following procedures:
    * To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
    * To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
    Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
    * To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
    Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

How to run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
    2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
    3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
    4. Use one of the following procedures:
    * To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
    * To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
    * To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
    The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
    Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
    Many "high end" defraggers claim that they can fix your drives critical errors in bad sectors but then have you run this before you can run their program, but the truth is this is what fixes those problems; it will take a while, but if this machine is running shitty and is old, it could really help you out. Just make sure you do it when you have a while
    Last edited by Opaque; 13 Jan 2011 at 11:31 AM.

9. Most of the time older computers at workplaces have like 512MB of RAM in them. Just saying