Thread: Amazon is doing lots of stuff

1. Amazon is doing lots of stuff

They are about to wreck some shit in the tablet space. If the Kindle Fire becomes 'The' mass market Android tablet they are in a sense hijacking Android from Google. Everyone will develop their apps for 2.3 instead of focusing on Google's new snack.

I love the price. The specs look good enough (IPS screen!). I think the software looks janky, I don't like the desktop = bookshelf gimmick. I will probably end up with one once it gets rooted.

I think what everyone wanted when HP bought WebOS was for them to leverage their back end stuff and make WebOS the portal to the cloud. Well, they blew it, but Amazon is going to push the cloud HARD. I can't wait. If you read about the browser it's really cool.

Obligatory links:
    Editorial: The Kindle Fire, the iPad, and what tablets are good for
    Amazon Kindle Fire price and specs revealed: 7-inch IPS display, dual-core processor, $199
    Amazon Kindle Fire: pictures, video, and hands-on
    Amazon introduces Silk: a cloud-based browser

2. Wake me when there's a tablet not mired in a walled garden.

3. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    I love the price. The specs look good enough (IPS screen!). I think the software looks janky ... I will probably end up with one once it gets rooted.
    this is literally every tablet

also do any of them (good ones) actually not have IPS panels? my touchpad has a ips panel in it, and I know ipads come with ips panels

4. Some of the Honeycomb tablets don't, but mostly the shit ones like Acer, Toshiba, some of the Lenovo ones. Since this is only $200 i think it's a pretty big deal that it will have a nice screen, even though any Honeycomb tablet someone might actually buy probably does also.

5. The cheap price of the Fire has me seriously considering one.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. I can't get excited about this, though it is by far the best of the non-iPad tablets.

7. Especially since it doesn't require a dataplan. However Silk sounds a little retarded and I am not looking forward to trying to please the another web browser in addition to the 9 already used. web browser to be used in the market.

IE 6, 7, 8, 9, Opera, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Silk

8. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    retarded trying to please the another web browser in addition to the 9 already used. web browser to be used in the market.
    retarded

9. Its a novel idea, but really not a true tablet. No GPS, no mic, no Camera, no 3g/4g.

If I had to pay full price for my phones, i'd dump my smartphone and go exclusively to my Galaxy 10.1 w/ 4G instead. Having it active anywhere without needed to mess with Wifi is so incredibly convenient.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin