Thread: Sound card = toast

1. Sound card = toast

So my sound card seems to have died. I'd only had it for what seems like just shy of forever, so I suppose I can't complain. What are people using for this kind of thing nowadays? I've honestly got no idea, and a scan of Newegg just turned back too many options. I don't need super-fancy anything, just something to make my games sound good. Any advice?

James

2. Same thing happened to me a while back. Then I just tried onboard sound and everything was fine. I guess it depends on your motherboard though.

3. And oh hey, there's a sound card thread half a page down. Search fail. Still, the results were inconclusive, so I don't feel too bad posting this.

No on-board sound on this mobo, I'm afraid. On the plus side, after downloading the manual to my board, I've got an unused audio/PCI express port clear and open.

James

4. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102003

I went for this card tonight. I'd have gotten something using the mini-PCI Express port, but for some reason my mobo design has a heat sink blocking it. The end of the card would need to be sawn off to avoid crashing into a nice chunk of copper.

James