Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does a dying CPU Fan sound like?

1. What does a dying CPU Fan sound like?

So I get called on by the parents to "fix" their computer. It's making a noise they say. I get there and sure enough it's making an irregular noise. I suspect its the CPU Fan or the power supply fan. So I take it apart and get some compressed air, blow the dust off it. Wait a few hours, eat some dinner, and then power it up again. Noise is still there. Disturbingly it might even be worse.

So ya, how do I diagnose when a computer starts making noises outside the norm?

2. YEAH! CPU'S ARE THE BESsssaaaargggghhhhglukkkk.

3. Open up the side while it's running and look around, with a flashlight if necessary. Shouldn't be too difficult to pinpoint where it's coming from. I've done this before with my graphic card fan. Was fairly easy to replace, too.

4. Jam a pencil in each fan until the noise stops, then just leave it there. Problem solved!

5. It sounds like GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

6. Dying fans don't make loud noise. Fans rubbing against wires or other shit make noise.

7. Cheap fans with cheap bearings make grinding noises when they go south.

8. So I did some further digging, it's the power supply. Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

9. brapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrap