Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sturmwind: New Dreamcast Shooter from Redspotgames

1. Sturmwind: New Dreamcast Shooter from Redspotgames

I'm not really sure how much Dreamcast love is left around here, but a new game was announced back on December 5th, 2010. There's been a few homebrew games released for the system since it's demise but this one really stands out (at least to me) because it looks excellent.

From redspotgames-

As revealed through the redspotgames Twitter and Facebook accounts, the Munich-based publisher announced its upcoming title “Sturmwind” on Sunday, December 5th 2010 in the TV show “neues” on German-Austrian-Swiss broadcaster 3sat.

In the show, redspotgames CEO Max Scharl presented the game to the public for the first time with exclusive gameplay footage. It is currently slated to be released in Q2 2011. “Sturmwind” is a classic shoot ‘em up with 2D gameplay, powered by a hybrid 2D/3D engine.

Players fight over 20 boss enemies in 16 levels. In addition to the so-called “Award Trophy System” which ensures long- term motivation through unlockable content, there will also be an internet highscore list in which players can compete against each other worldwide.

* 16 levels
    * 3 selectable difficulty levels
    * configurable controls
    * adjustable screen position
    * varied choice of weapons
    * More than 20 large boss enemies
    * Hundreds of different enemies
    * FMV intro sequence
    * Hybrid 2d/3d game engine
    * Resolution of 640×480 pixels
    * PAL50, PAL60, NTSC and VGA (with Adapter) compatible
    * Region free
    * Works with any MIL-CD compatible Dreamcast
    * CDDA Sound
    * Supports: Gamepad, Arcade Stick (Analog/Digital), VMU, Rumble Pack (configurable)
    * Internet WEBcode Hiscore Tables
    * Award Trophy System with unlockable content

Pre-orders have been made available in the redspotgames online shop in conjunction with this announcement. The standard edition of the game can be pre-ordered for 35,49 EUR (US$ 46.00 / 29.50 GBP). Payment before release is not required.
    Last edited by Giga Power; 14 Jan 2011 at 05:06 PM.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

That looks extremely cool. It's like R-Type/Pulstar in higher resolution.

3. I'd be interested if it was on a current system or PC. Maybe someday!

At least they didn't cross-develop this on Neo Geo like Last Hope and Fast Striker from that other indie developer. That really held back the DC versions. I'm honestly tempted by this, since a DC is still necessary for Border Down, Under Defeat, Mars Matrix, etc. anyway.

5. I am interested, but DC is in storage forever.

6. Looks good, sounds a little long though. Any of these homebrew DC shooters worth checking out? Dux looked interesting.

7. ProTip: This game is the finished version of a canceled prototype for the Atari Jaguar called Native. Even on that hardware they were able to do some really impressive stuff. And that was back in 1997, so they've been working on this for a long time.

Video of the Jaguar title-

http://www.duranik.com/english/jaguar.html
    Last edited by Giga Power; 14 Jan 2011 at 06:02 PM.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    It's like R-Type/Pulstar...
    Pass.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Giga Power View Post
    ProTip: This game is the finished version of a canceled prototype for the Atari Jaguar called Native. Even on that hardware they were able to do some really impressive stuff. And that was back in 1997, so they've been working on this for a long time.

http://www.duranik.com/english/jaguar.html
    Those Jag shots are pretty fucking impressive.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    At least they didn't cross-develop this on Neo Geo like Last Hope and Fast Striker from that other indie developer. .
    I've been meaning to try out FastStriker on the DC but haven't ordered a copy yet. I'd love to get it for my MVS machine but it's insanely expensive.