Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: True Grit - From the Coen Bros

1. True Grit - From the Coen Bros

I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

2. From what I'm hearing this has almost nothing in common with the old movie, which pretty much just jacked the name from the book and changed everything else.

Looks good. I'm not usually wild about seeing the Coens do straight drama, nor adapted works, but I enjoyed No Country and I'll likely enjoy this too. I always see everything they put out anyway.

3. Could be awesome. Trailer doesn't tell much.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    From what I'm hearing this has almost nothing in common with the old movie, which pretty much just jacked the name from the book and changed everything else.

Looks good. I'm not usually wild about seeing the Coens do straight drama, nor adapted works, but I enjoyed No Country and I'll likely enjoy this too. I always see everything they put out anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    It's partly a question of point-of-view. The book is entirely in the voice of the 14-year-old girl. That sort of tips the feeling of it over a certain way. I think [the book is] much funnier than the movie was so I think, unfortunately, they lost a lot of humour in both the situations and in her voice. It also ends differently than the movie did. You see the main character — the little girl — 25 years later when she's an adult. Another way in which it's a little bit different from the movie — and maybe this is just because of the time the movie was made — is that it's a lot tougher and more violent than the movie reflects. Which is part of what's interesting about it.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 28 Sep 2010 at 09:40 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. I've got the original sitting on my desk, I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, so I bumped it up my Netflix queue. I started watching the other night but passed right the hell out, so I think I'll go finish it... now.

5. John Wayne was a fag.

6. THE HELL HE WAS!

7. Just finished watching the original.

Awesome.

8. It's good they're not whoring out the original too much - just kind of updating from the source. It already looks good, judging by the trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Ethan Cohen's blurb got me pumped; a brutal violent movie told through the eyes of a 14 yr old girl could be amazing!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. Could have done without the neue country in the trailer. Watching it for a second time it annoyed me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."