Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII-2

1. Final Fantasy XIII-2

Quote Originally Posted by Kotaku
    After years of build-up and waiting, Final Fantasy XIII was released to so-so reviews. The game was a disappointment. But, if at first you don't succeed, try again.

Regardless of fan bickering or indifference, the game was a monster hit for Square Enix, moving over six million copies.

The game's developer, Square Enix, is working on Final Fantasy XIII-2, a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII.

The number of Final Fantasy games can be confusing for non-fans. Each of the games do not follow sequential order, so when Square Enix wants to do a sequel to Final Fantasy XIII, the game does not end up being Final Fantasy XIV (which is a totally different, already released game), but Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Final Fantasy XIII Gets A Second Chance With A Second Game There is a precedent for this as Square Enix released a sequel to Final Fantasy X in 2003 called Final Fantasy X-2. The sequel followed the exploits of Final Fantasy X heroine Yuna, and Final Fantasy XIII is expected to do the same.

Square Enix has only unveiled the game's logo, which showed Final Fantasy XIII heroine Lightning as well as a new, unnamed character. It is thought that this character is Lightning's rival.

Unlike Final Fantasy XIII, which caused controversy by originally only being slated for the PS3, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is penciled in for both the PS3 and the Xbox 360, right off the bat. The game won't have the wait that Final Fantasy XIII did. According to Square Enix, it will be released in 2011.

FFXIII was really a let down (which was a shame since it played so damn well) , but versus and this look better than it, so maybe they just dedicated all their time to these two games and shoved XIII out the door? Maybe this game will actually have towns, and you know, be a real game and not just a straight line linking the greatest turn based battle system ever.

2. SE is trying to recoup the horrible costs of this game and its failed MMO by making a quickie, bullshit sequel on the same engine. (hence the quick 2011 release window) I'd probably expect a lot of reused assets, music, environments, etc.

Also, pass.

3. I'd be fine with them using some of the locations again if they include actually paths and villages. Basically the only thing they can reuse is straight paths and backgrounds, so there's a lot of room to still make Cocoon feel fresh.

4. I enjoyed FF13, but never finished it. I should go back to it since I enjoyed the game, but the story was pretty stupid.

5. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    SE is trying to recoup the horrible costs of this game and its failed MMO by making a quickie, bullshit sequel on the same engine. (hence the quick 2011 release window) I'd probably expect a lot of reused assets, music, environments, etc.

Also, pass.
    This has been their design philosophy ever since the Square Pictures incident, the entire driving force behind FFXIII since its announcement (create as many offshoots based on the world as possible), and this sequel was publicly discussed like a year ago.

Not to say the reasons you listed didn't assist this decision in some way, but putting it all on the events of the last half year or so is a little silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters
    I enjoyed FF13, but never finished it. I should go back to it since I enjoyed the game, but the story was pretty stupid.
    Same. I keep meaning to but never actually get around to putting that disc in.

6. FFXIII was garbage. If SE wants to make money back, remake VII. I know there are people here who hated it, but it is still the favorite among the masses. Knowing SE, they would fuck it up though.

7. You tards begging for villages are part of the problem. FFXIII cut the fat.

You really want environments where NPC's can gather to vomit inane crumbs of irrelevant dialogue? Are shops that much more interesting than buying stuff at save points? No. They are not.

8. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    You tards begging for villages are part of the problem. FFXIII cut the fat.
    It cut too much.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    You really want environments where NPC's can gather to vomit inane crumbs of irrelevant dialogue? Are shops that much more interesting than buying stuff at save points? No. They are not.
    Ever played Fallout or Elderscrolls? Think those games would be as good or loved if they were played on rails?

9. If it has a good job system, I'm down.

Your mom is a good job system lolololol

10. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    You tards begging for villages are part of the problem. FFXIII cut the fat.

Indeed. Lack of villages and shops didn't really hurt the game. Cringe-inducing characters like Hope and Snow most certainly did. Yet I'd still take them over the motley crew of Tidus, Khimari, Auron, Lulu, and Wakka.

No matter how lame XIII got, I could always reconcile my disappointment with the knowledge that at least it wasn't X.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Ever played Fallout or Elderscrolls? Think those games would be as good or loved if they were played on rails?
    If ever there existed a developer in desperate need of a ruthless editor, it's Bethesda. I don't have a problem with huge games, but it would be kinda sorta nice if they were also interesting.