Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [J360] Gal☆Gun

1. Hah, Microsoft did get it censored after all. There were supposed to be panty shots in the game, but MS wouldn't allow it. They probably still slipped the tentacle monster in though.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

2. Screw that then, I'm waiting for the PS3 Move-enabled version for proper lightgun schoolgirl molestation!

Why/how have you been following this games?

James

3. Cause it sweet! I read over at Kotaku that panties are still there, not sure if true til someone confirms: http://kotaku.com/5741646/galgun-esc...mingly-in-tact
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

4. Needs an arcade release. Points should award tickets good for watermelon flavored lollipops.

I purchased the PS3 version of this a few weeks ago and have gone through Story Mode for three of the four characters, so I think I've seen enough to say some things about it.

Overall the game is good - read, not "great" - and I think it's pretty good for a fanservice time waster, but I think even a few minor mechanic tweaks could have made the game even better. I've been playing this with the Move, which I believe helps make the experience enjoyable.

The backgrounds, besides being very basic, have zero interactive elements that I have ever seen. There's no secret things to shoot. This, coupled with the lack of any sort of reloading requirement, means that any point in the game where there aren't girls on the screen is spent of you doing nothing. Besides the girls assaulting you with love letters, they can shout things at you, and those words physically manifest and float towards you in set patterns which you can either shoot away or subdue the girl before they reach you. In some spots you can have a few girls close and a few far away yelling at you, so things can get hairy if you're not quick enough. Two main reasons why you won't want to just fire at everything incessantly is for Ecstasy Shots and for the Dokidoki Mode.

Girls have unique spots where Ecstasy Shots can register, which will take them out in one hit. Where the Spot is on each girl is shown in onomotopoeic katakana which manifest in different time intervals and in two degrees - yellow characters are instant hits and red characters seem to require to be zoomed in upon. The Move button lets you zoom about 20% closer on a target and only has few instances that I've seen where it's actually useful. In Score Attack mode, bonuses accumulate for successive Ecstasy Shots. Shoot enough girls and shouted characters and you'll fill up charge slots for Dokidoki Mode.

In Dokidoki Mode, the object is to hit the isolated girl in enough spots on the body to fill up a heart gauge as your Dokidoki gauge slowly depletes. You hold the Move button down to slowly zoom in on a targeted spot and must fire before the girl reacts and guards herself. Each girl has unique spots on her body which are more sensitive than others, so the point is to quickly move from one spot to the next to find which areas to hit and fill the heart gauge up the quickest. Once the heart gauge is filled, you can exit from the mode instantly and return to the game with a screen clearing bomb. With success, a star appears next to the girl's name for the remainder of the game session. Acquiring three gold stars with a girl, finding her singular most sensitive spot, and encountering her in each of the three clothing styles (normal, gym, school swimsuit) will consider her profile complete. Completed girls can be freely viewed and sent to Dokidoki mode outside of the game, and is required for Trophy purposes. Therefore, when playing a round, you will want to wait to bomb certain girls to ensure that you complete their profiles. There are approximately fifty unique girls in the game.

There are four statistical values assigned to the protagonist; studying, exercise, fashion, and ecchi. Each girl hit by Dokidoki will alter these values in unique and certain manners, which is another reason to not bomb girls indiscriminately. The differences in these values will affect what dialog choices are available to you in Story Mode (though not dramatically enough to impede progress). Also, there are titled ranks in the game which are given based on your score and these statistics. Unlocking all titles is required for another Trophy. In Story Mode, each of the four main girls have two stage endings with different and specific objectives; they still mostly require shooting things but it does give some variation to the game. Story Mode features an extensive amount of dialogue and will stretch playing of the five Stages to about ninety minutes if you bother to listen to it all. If you fast forward through everything, Story Mode runs can be done in about one third of that time. Completion of Story Mode unlocks the ability to play the route in Score Attack mode (which is a very large argument against non native speakers from importing the game), and completion of any mode gives you an amount of points which you can use in the game's Gallery to unlock illustrations or additional clothing accessories for the girls to wear in the game.

I like that there are so many unique girls to be seen in the game and that the game has some means of encouraging you to hunt down certain ones within a session.

I don't like how incredibly basic the game is otherwise. Without having any secrets to shoot for, the game should have at least tracked accuracy or maintained a consecutive hit tally (beyond Ecstasy Shot chains, which are only shown in Score Attack) to encourage skilled and restrained firing. For Dokidoki mode, I would have appreciated that concept as well as some sort of visual clue when a girl is about to guard the target. As it is, you have to guess when the guard will come and account for the differences in each girls' timing on it. This leads to many wasted shots and time without any means or reward for successful and continuous circumvention of her defense (beyond not burning up more of your super meter). The girls also only have a few sparse forms in all of their actions - idle, attacking, subdued, and otherwise. You've basically seen about all they'll do in ten minutes of Youtube videos. Seeing as how some encounters show the girls jumping from roof awnings and other improbable actions, I want to see more insane things like that in the game. I want to see the girls shove each other out of the way in mad desperation to reach the protagonist first.

For 99% of you, this game is best enjoyed by watching the Youtube videos or playing the demo (which I have read as having an appreciable amount of content itself). Besides the currently brutal exchange rate and everything mentioned earlier, there's not even a two player mode to be found. But, the game's presentation and exhaustive content is enough to make me consider it as at least better than average.
    Last edited by dog$; 16 Mar 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by everyone
    TLDR
    Yes, thank you.

7. Fuck that assumption.

I'm honestly impressed you deeply analyzed the most shallow game in existence. You make it seem legitimate!

I read the whole thing, that shit was riveting and legit.

Game sounds like it has some good ideas for being perverted fanservice garbage. I would consider playing it with some tweaks, as you mentioned, but if anyone ever saw me playing it I would die.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

9. No wonder Japan's game industry is losing ground.