Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TNL Music Club Week #7 - Magnetic Man - Magnetic Man

1. TNL Music Club Week #7 - Magnetic Man - Magnetic Man

I've struggled with my pick. I wanted to take things in a different direction, but still pick something you guys might have a chance of halfway enjoying. So I've settled on Magnetic Man's self titled LP.

Magnetic Man is one of those OMG SUPA GROUP collaborations, and for that reason alone I was extremely skeptical. Made up of 3 of dubstep's oldest and most prolific producers (seriously, these guys invented the entire genre in their bedrooms) - Skream, Benga and Artwork.

I went in expecting some dark, dirty dubstep, and was blow away when I realised I was listening to one of the best pop albums of 2010. They've completely done away with their signature sounds, opting for a more accessible, dance-floor oriented 'hands in the air' style. The opening track Flight into Tokyo is a beatless strings + glockenspiel joint, which kind of sets the mood for the rest of the album. This is self-aware. This is fun. This is dubstep for arena shows.

They use a whole bunch of guest vocalists really effectively, playing to their strengths. Highlights include dubstep darling Katy B on the outstanding Perfect Stranger, the viper like patois of Ms. Dynamite on Fire, and fucking John Legend on the beautifully introspective Getting Nowhere.

That's not to say there aren't some truly massive, more tradionally dubstep tracks on the record, though. One of my favourite moments is the opening to the track Anthemic - at first I was like "what the fuck is this trance-Tiesto shit?" and then they drop an absolutely monster bassline - all dark and gooey. Classic Benga. Mad is like a 7 storey drop into 8-bit hell, and Karma Crazy builds a thick tension with it's string intro, then drops into a face-slapping wobbly mess. The Bug is a huge track, and a hell of a lot of fun.

I don't expect everyone to like this, but I'm sure there's at least something on here that most people can appreciate, if not get off on.

Perfect Stranger - Live at BBC Radio 1

Fire - Live at BBC Radio 1

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnetic-man.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	59998  
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

2. I'm so going to run to this shit!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Even with the shit headphones I have at school right now, which only work for one ear, I can already tell I like this.

Unless what's supposed to come out of the right speaker is something crazy.

4. It's Gulaggh played backwards.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Hah! I should have mentioned - there's quite a lot going on in the sub-bass frequencies, so good headphones or decent speakers with a sub are highly recommended!
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

6. Well my first run will be with headphones, but I'll give it a go on the livingroom stereo later.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 27 Jan 2011 at 03:25 PM.

7. The bit rate on the first track is showing up at 185 btw.

8. Accompanied the run very well even though I got through about half of it. I really, really dug the intro. Great way to start a work out and made you wonder what the fuck you were getting into. Subs start in on track two and I appreciate they come and go and seemed to be there when I needed a pick up. I still have to finish it and listen to it on the stereo. But, I plan on buying this so don't worry about the bit rate.

9. Oh really? I have a flac copy, I'll export a 320 version and update the dropbox folder if need be.
    ABOUT ME.

10. I have a 5.1 set up with a 10'' sub so I'm in business.

The bass is good.