Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 791011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking 'Bout This Generation

1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post

What makes you think I ever wanted to do anything but write?
    I thought all you columns dudes wanted to be Anthony Burch or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I don't think anybody's making Street Fighter III again, is the problem. Games are a big risk financially, and that is a banner game for "big-ass 2D productions are not a sure bet", unfortunately.
    It's kind of ambiguous, really. If they COULD make the modern equivalent of SF3 on a comparable budget to the original SF3, I think it'd be perfectly viable economically. I don't know what Street Fighter III cost to make, but I guaruntee you it was a shitload less than retail Xbox/PS3 games, and probably less than Street Fighter IV.

The problem, it seems like, is more that the cost of 2D at HD spiraled more than the shrinking market for 2D, although obviously both are considerations.

We probably won't see it tried in a fighting game first, maybe a platformer or something more manageable. A modern day equivalent of Earthworm Jim's process (but less work since it doesn't have to be cleaned up as pixel art at the end).
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 04 Feb 2011 at 03:51 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Bullshit. Show me a shooter on Saturn or PS1 that looks as good as Pulstar. The RAM simply wasn't there to support very detailed 2D games, not just fighters.
    Going to have to agree with this. The Playstation was just not the console that was meant to support 2D Neo games because of memory issues if anything. Samurai Shodown, KoF, W/e was on the NEo just looked better on the Neo then it did on the Playstation.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Bullshit. Show me a shooter on Saturn or PS1 that looks as good as Pulstar.
    Sengoku Blaede.

I've sat most of this gen out. I've yet to see a game that made me want to drop 300+ for a new console. Or 1000+ for a good hd tv for that matter.

I did buy Ghostbusters, Valk Chronicles, and brutal legend. All of which were a little flaud, but I enjoyed them and I'm glad we got them. I don't think they could have been done as well had they been done on previous systems. The later half of Ghostbusters was a little meh, and kind of felt like tacted on levels from another game (spider boss woman? Devil May cry much?) but shit, did you see that proton beam? That was freaking awesome. And god that would have looked like shit on the PS2. It would have been a spinning multicolored polygon stick. About my only gripe with Valk was the writing. Too much animeish crap. But the gameplay and graphics? Fun Fun. You were pretty much playing a water color WW2 manga, how awesome is that? Brutal legend was fun despite being 50% of what it should have been. Sure the strat battles were a botched pile of shit. But I got to drive a hot rod around, listen to metal and hit monster dear.

I do wish brown games would go away though. And all these day one DLC for people who buy games at release can eat my ass. What the fuck is that shit? What if we did that with cars or clothes? If you don't buy the new ford on day one, they get to keep a tire. wtf
    Last edited by Fe 26; 05 Feb 2011 at 11:58 AM.

6. FLAUD

hahahaha

7. Oh for fuck's sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Video games keep getting better and better. The sheer amount of options available to me through DLC services and emulation alone is staggering and completely cover any nostalgic needs I may have. The new consoles are great for their respective exclusives and big budget titles, while the handhelds (including the fucking crazy iPhone 4) cover the quirky japanese shit I still secretly enjoy in short bursts. There probably isn't a single gaming want I can't satisfy within minutes at this point, and it's getting better every year.

Not having an HDTV is lols, even if they do introduce horrible, undocumented lag issues that make buying a new one the biggest headache of all fucking time. Worth it for the staggering image quality. This is like the dude holding on to his VCR tapes saying DVD is not worth it.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    FLAUD

hahahaha
    Holy shit. That needs to be his new name so badly. It just sums him up in five, formerly disassociated letters.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 05 Feb 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    hit monster dear.
    Click for full size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dear-logo.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	1,008.0 KB 
ID:	60179  
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 05 Feb 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: simg