Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 91112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking 'Bout This Generation

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Bullshit. Show me a shooter on Saturn or PS1 that looks as good as Pulstar. The RAM simply wasn't there to support very detailed 2D games, not just fighters.
    Raiden 2 says hi.

http://www.fvza.org/index.html

Yes, one game on launch window compilation is clearly a hardware pusher.

3. Sold me a PSX, anyway. Rented that and I think Ridge Racer on launch day. Between those and the disc with the T-Rex demo on it, Sony made a sale.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 07 Feb 2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: supplemental material
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Yes, one game on launch window compilation is clearly a hardware pusher.
    You don't really have to push the hardware to beat a last-gen system.

5. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Sold me a PSX, anyway. Rented that and I think Ridge Racer on launch day. Between those and the disc with the T-Rex demo on it, Sony made a sale.
    I saw Toshinden and a picture of Wipeout and I preordered it immediately. So f'ing naive back then.

6. All I know is that, as late as the Dreamcast era (and probably after, I stopped paying attention to those crazies eventually), the hardcore Neo-Geo supporters were still championing their hardware because of the supposedly inferior ports of games. If anything SNK was botching them on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    You don't really have to push the hardware to beat a last-gen system.
    Theoretically true but not in practice in that case.

8. I was an ardent NG supporter, but I don't think it is even possible to have a Neo Geo-like system today. Even if someone makes a super crazy system that can push billions of polygons with all types of shader/effects/whatever, it will take several years for PC tech to catch up simply because the technology moves so fast. So the system will be obsolete in 5 or so years, nowhere near as long as NG that still looked impressive 10+ years into its life.

Maybe PS3 is the next NG

I agree with that. I don't mean the longevity as much as I do the relative power. So I am thinking of Neo Geo 1991-1996 or so, not Neo Geo 1991-2007.

10. I was thinking more along 1990 to 2000. I recall games started to look really dated around 2000 or so.