Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking 'Bout This Generation

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Blech. When I own seven current platforms, I want unique, hardware-optimized experiences. This common denominator bullshit seemed to really ramp up with the PS2, but now it's the norm. For the hundredth time, I want my 201X Neo Geo, and I don't care how much it costs.
    I can understand this to some degree but realistically if PCs were light years ahead of consoles technology-wise and in frequent need of upgrading, I think we would be seeing less big budget development for them. Companies would be more likely to just make console versions because there's more money there.

2. Capitalism doesn't jive with console specialization.

3. I also didn't see anyone else mention it but this gen saw co-op games blow up. I can definitely see why it is popular but I don't like it. If a developer is going to make a co-op game they should at least make sure it is fun SP (like Gears of War). It was pretty disheartening to see Capcom force co-op on RE5, especially since RE4 is an all-time great singleplayer action game.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I also didn't see anyone else mention it but this gen saw co-op games blow up. I can definitely see why it is popular but I don't like it. If a developer is going to make a co-op game they should at least make sure it is fun SP (like Gears of War). It was pretty disheartening to see Capcom force co-op on RE5, especially since RE4 is an all-time great singleplayer action game.
    Yes yes yes!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I can understand this to some degree but realistically if PCs were light years ahead of consoles technology-wise and in frequent need of upgrading, I think we would be seeing less big budget development for them. Companies would be more likely to just make console versions because there's more money there.
    I completely understand this, but I am trying not to think about this from a business standpoint. I haven't and likely won't own stock in any of these companies, so their bottom lines beyond continuing to exist don't matter to me.

I'm not sure why there isn't room for a high end platform though. There have to be enough people with means and interest to support a Neo Geo 201X. I'm not looking for mass market success and to have every developer on board.

6. I don't think so Yoshi. The Neo-Geo largely succeeded because the people needed both money and interest in what SNK was putting out. If you liked SNK-style 2D fighters and had a boatload of money, you'll probably buy all of them, which meant SNK could keep making them.

There's no doubt people out there who would spend $1000 on hardware, but would enough of those people buy the games that would justify the massive development costs for them? I doubt it.

The thing about the Neo Geo is that it didn't really survive by finding a niche as a high end product. It gained a cult following of people willing to pay ridiculous prices despite cheaper, mainstream consoles surpassing it in terms of technology.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I also didn't see anyone else mention it but this gen saw co-op games blow up. I can definitely see why it is popular but I don't like it. If a developer is going to make a co-op game they should at least make sure it is fun SP (like Gears of War). It was pretty disheartening to see Capcom force co-op on RE5, especially since RE4 is an all-time great singleplayer action game.
    Agreed. Play with a retarded ai bot or a retarded friend because you must? No thanks. I played through 5 one time and never again.

I never really cared about it before but it bothers me a lot more now that franchises are from the start, made to be a trilogy. Most of the time they offer very little in the way of improvement over the 1st or 2nd game and like movies, the 2nd always seems to be a placeholder game (either very little in the way of narrative advancement or no gameplay added). I get the idea of a franchise but more often than not it just seems like a way to milk customers into buying three games that could have been two (or even one) to recoup costs of making the 1st one from scratch.

Off the top of my head.

Dead Space - what does the sequel offer over the first that warrants it to be played? The visuals are almost identical. You can still spam the plasma cutter 99% of the time and the story goes nowhere. Chances are this will get a 3rd main game before the end of the gen.

Gears of War - I know you guys love the multi but they couldn't combine the story into one less game? Again between the 1st and 2nd, not a drastic graphical or gameplay change that I can remember. Once again a story that's pretty flat until the "ah ha" moment at the very end.

Fable - yes the 1st was on the phatbox but has this series changed at all across three games?

Halo - same idea as Fable. The story could have been condensed into two games easily. Probably one. Instead we get the exact same game three times with the only big visual payoff because of new hardware. The story goes nowhere for three games and the same formula is across all three. Fight covenant, fight flood, fight covenant again. Cliffhanger ending.

Mass Effect - you spend the whole 1st game getting being the bitch of the Council and yet the 2nd game throws it all away. I guess I'm kind of torn on this one since I did like the 2nd game a lot more than the 1st.

Uncharted - Basically the same game twice now. I liked both of them but was there much of a difference between the two?

I could go on and on and I'm sure most won't agree with me. Like I said, I get the franchise idea but a lot of times this just feels forced.

9. Most sequels this generation are actually worse than the original.

Gears 2 was the most disappointing, with its broken but fun multiplayer somehow becoming more broken and much less fun.

10. This is kind of a boring thread. You guys pay a lot of money for crappy crap apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!