Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 24567810 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking 'Bout This Generation

1. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Or, morons who know nothing about games and don't even really like them trying to force their ignorance on discourse. Those people can fuck off thanks.
    Flower REALLY upset you, didn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    The thing about the Neo Geo is that it didn't really survive by finding a niche as a high end product. It gained a cult following of people willing to pay ridiculous prices despite cheaper, mainstream consoles surpassing it in terms of technology.
    Kinda late to the party but I wanted to chime in with this. At the time of the Neo's height in popularity, console versions of classics like Samurai Shodown II were very poorly translated from their Neo counterparts. Biggest examples were huge sprites like earthquake alone where the system just couldn't handle his big fatass. The Playstation version of Samurai Shodown III is another terrible example of memory issues where Zankuro's walking animation was chopped down to two frames. The Neo*Geo had going for it at the time the ability to be true to the arcade versions of the same games seeing as the carts you bought were pretty much excatly the same as their arcade counterparts. It wasn't until the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and PS2 that the Neo*Geo finally started to not look so attractive to purists who want excat ports of their favorite fighters.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

I love the co-op trend but more games need to execute it competently.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Batman makes up for everything else this generation.

I haven't had too many wonderful experiences this gen a la Shadow of the Colossus or Katamari. Everything feels heartless. It does feel like the 16 bit gen over again but with less charm and obvs. the graphical leap isn't as large. All my fav. games have been downloadable/on the PC so far.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Or, morons who know nothing about games and don't even really like them trying to force their ignorance on discourse. Those people can fuck off thanks.
    How is it ignorant to have different criteria to judge a game than another person? It's not like Flower is Snood; a shitty rip off of another game consumed by casuals who never saw the original. It is, in fact, doing something that other games are not, and while that might not be appealing to you, it is to some, and it shows a versatility of the medium we haven't seen before. That's not a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    The thing about the Neo Geo is that it didn't really survive by finding a niche as a high end product.
    On the contrary, it survived by being a low-end common denominator. To some, Neo Geo may have been a rich kid's console, but pretty much all their revenue came from being a very cheap arcade system with replaceable cartridges. The home system was never really where they made their money and it couldn't have existed on its own.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 04 Feb 2011 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    The thing about the Neo Geo is that it didn't really survive by finding a niche as a high end product. It gained a cult following of people willing to pay ridiculous prices despite cheaper, mainstream consoles surpassing it in terms of technology.
    This is true much longer term. But it took hardware add-ons for even the 32-bit systems to sort of handle its games. So we're talking nearly a full decade later before out of the box hardware (the Dreamcast) could match the 2D muscle.

7. Generally speaking, the PlayStation and Saturn were more capable of handling Neo Geo games than the Neo Geo was capable of replicating 2D Saturn or PSX games. The cartridge media gave it a certain edge, especially with fighters, but it's still fair to say it was surpassed.

8. This gen has been fine for some genres, shitty for others. Seeing fighting games have a resurgance has been nice. Seeing big bang PC exclusives dwindle has been heartbreaking.
    I've played more console games this gen than I have the previous gen by far. I've enjoyed it, but Im ready to go back to PC's. Too bad we pirated ourselves into oblivion.

Downloadable content on XBLA has been really awesome. Playing games like 1943,PACMAN DX and Bionic Commando for decent prices has been a treat and I'm sure it'll get even more diverse and interesting down the road.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Flower... is, in fact, doing something that other games are not, and while that might not be appealing to you, it is to some, and it shows a versatility of the medium we haven't seen before. That's not a bad thing.
    What exactly is Flower doing that other games are not? I really don't know. It's a flying game for complete retards. It's the same thing as Limbo (I thought Limbo was much better than Flower): it was pretty enjoyable but by no means a landmark platform game, it did nothing platformers were not doing two decades ago. Hell even Splosion Man was way better.

I mean if people want to play terrible titles with nice graphic filters that is fine, but like I said, those people just don't like games. I'll stick with real games thanks.

10. I enjoy this generation quite a bit. Here are my reasons:

Online: an integral part of 360/PS3, it makes finding friends to play co-op/competitive games very easy. It also allows companies to continue to support their games through patches and DLC. Of course, there is an evil side to this with garbage DLC (or worse, making you unlock on disc content) or rushed games to be patched later. You just have to be a smarter consumer and try as much as possible to stay away from games with these types of problems. It is easy to ignore overpriced DLC as I almost never buy them, or wait for them to go on sale (picked up Mass Effect 2's for a few bucks each). Oh, lol at Nintendo for their online strategy.

Revival of classics and Indy gaming more exposure: With digital distribution, this foster growth on that front. As always, there are both good and bad games but it is really easy to just ignore the bad stuff and go for the cream of crop such as Geometry Wars and Pac-Man CE. If you have not played these 2 yet, then the problem is you.

Sports/Racing Games: TNL doesn't generally play them, but these are the best yet (and for those who still hold NHL94 as the best hockey game ever, you are wrong and go play NHL 11). MLB The Show, NBA 2K11, FIFA/Pro Evo, NHL 11, Forza, Need for Speed, Burnout and even arcade sports games like NBA Jam are the best yet. The only glaring exception is Madden. While Madden football isn't bad per se, they aren't particular good either.

Music/Rhythm games: Seemed to have peaked already. Rock Band 3 is the about the only game you need these days, with DLC songs making it almost infinitely replayable. Probably the best party game.

---

I don't like the following:

Dearth of Light gun games: I wish there are more quality light gun games, but the Wii ones aren't really accurate and Time Crisis 4 is meh. I have not tried Move to see if it has the accuracy.

Motion Control: Waggle, Move and Kinect are not really good for almost any type of games I enjoy. There are too many motion control bowling and golfing games. I exempted kiddie games as I am not their target market.

Expensive Special/Collector's Editions that aren't special or collectible. Although, they are easy to ignore, I particularly hate bundling beta invites with other games I have no desire to play (see Bulletstorm/Gears of war 3 beta). Just a good excuse for publishers to charge $10-$$$$ more for unnecessary crap.

One-time license codes to discourage used games sale: Fuck these.
    Last edited by kingoffighters; 04 Feb 2011 at 10:14 AM.