Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking 'Bout This Generation

1. I have played a lot of games with TNL'ers over that daggone webbernets this generation. I'm a fan of that.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    What exactly is Flower doing that other games are not? I really don't know. It's a flying game for complete retards. It's the same thing as Limbo (I thought Limbo was much better than Flower): it was pretty enjoyable but by no means a landmark platform game, it did nothing platformers were not doing two decades ago. Hell even Splosion Man was way better.
    In both of these cases, you're trying to break these games down mechanically and as a result missing the point by miles. To even compare Limbo to Splosion Man like they're comparable games shows you're just being to analytical. Most people approaching games now aren't judging them in terms of genre conventions, they're just looking at how these games make them feel, which is really how games are meant to judged in the first place. It isn't ignorance, it's just perspective.

They might both be platform games, but clearly they are designed to evoke very different feelings from the player. Limbo is visually stunning, just as a work of art and animation, a sort of Yuri Norstein-meets-Lotte Reiniger project. Mechanically, it's threadbare, and yet the designers manage to create a wide variety of environmental puzzles that mesh nicely with the world. In its own way it's very immersive in that regard.

I hate to fall back on the word "experience", because it's become trite, but that really is what it comes down to; It's about how these games make you feel, and the mechanics are part of that, but you can't isolate them from the whole thing. Games are more than just what buttons do what and how the character moves, and suggesting Splosion Man as an alternative to Limbo is like going up to someone watching an Alexander Petrov cartoon and telling him to watch Shrek instead.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 04 Feb 2011 at 11:07 AM.

3. Like I said, I'll stick to real games. Name-dropping this guy or that won't change my mind.

4. No one's telling you what to play, but I think it's good that we're approaching the medium as more than just an attempt to refine the same ideas, but looking at how all these tools can be used to convey feelings or story. It's silly to look at this as a question of ignorance as opposed to taste. People playing Limbo KNOW that mechanically it's very limited, that's actually part of the point.

You're like a person who judges a movie SOLELY on the plotline (and indeed there are many people who do that). And their views are valid, but that doesn't mean there aren't other merits to a film or that non-narrative cinema can't work in certain situations, nor does it mean that the filmmaker or audience is oblivious to the lack of narrative.

Really, this is just the old Rez debate all over again.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 04 Feb 2011 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Generally speaking, the PlayStation and Saturn were more capable of handling Neo Geo games than the Neo Geo was capable of replicating 2D Saturn or PSX games. The cartridge media gave it a certain edge, especially with fighters, but it's still fair to say it was surpassed.
    Bullshit. Show me a shooter on Saturn or PS1 that looks as good as Pulstar. The RAM simply wasn't there to support very detailed 2D games, not just fighters.

6. Show me Panzer Dragoon on the Neo.

Shit, show me X-Men vs SF on the Neo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Yoshi, no one cares.
    Boo, Hiss.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Shit, show me X-Men vs SF on the Neo.
    Garou looks 100x better than XvSF.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I don't know if you're trolling or not, but I'll assume you're not.
    Playstation 2 had a shit ton of FPS. 4 MoH, 4 CoD, 4 Bond (and some 3PS Bonds too), Killzone, Black, 2 Red Factions, Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever, etc etc.
    Well if you want to specify every terrible game and all the bad ports, the 360/PS3 have WAY more than what I listed. I thought you were trying to keep it somewhat within the realm of acceptable games (I mean, you did list MOH and COD, but I figured that's just because those sell no matter what). Push some copies of King Kong or Cabala or something.
    As far as "kids want GTA", yes and no. You know what game I sold A SHIT TON of last gen? Mother fucking Simpson's Hit and Run. Know why?
    Because it was a licensed game that wasn't the worst thing ever. Mario Party games sell a lot, I guess there's a huge market for videogame board games too, right? No, it's because they're Mario games.
    I get people in here all the time that say "Hey, we like that Mario game on the Wii where all four of us can play, what else do you got that's like that?" I then get to stare at them blankly. Sure, there's 1001 party games, but nothing really where they can go through levels.
    Four player games were never consistent, that has nothing to do with this gen. There were always a handful of releases every gen, the N64 probably had the most. For just two-player there's lots of options, check this site, pick your system and sort by offline.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Garou looks 100x better than XvSF.
    Garou is realllll lonely on the Neo.

Show me Saturn Bomberman on the Neo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!