Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking 'Bout This Generation

1. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Hand them a copy of National Treasure and tell them it comes pre-installed with the invincibility cheat.
    Oh. Shit.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    stuff
    A long time ago, a game called Space Invaders came out. It was very successful. Suddenly there were tons of Space Invaders clones.
    A little time after that, a game called Super Mario Bros. came out. It was very successful. Suddenly there were tons of Mario clones.
    A little time after that, a game called Street Fighter II came out. It was very successful. Suddenly there were tons of Street Fighter clones.

Send in the clones.

3. Super Mario was pretty good man.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Bullshit. Show me a shooter on Saturn or PS1 that looks as good as Pulstar.
    Cotton 2, Soukyugurentai, Guardian Force, hell even Darius Gaiden...

The RAM simply wasn't there to support very detailed 2D games, not just fighters.
    Nothing to do with the RAM, really, the NeoGeo had the same amount of RAM as the Genesis and far less than the Saturn or PSX, it just had several hundred dollars worth of speedy ROM packed into a cartridge.

Which technically the Saturn was capable of, too, it's just no one would have bought a game like that if they made one.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Now, you do see some high end 2D...in indie games. Braid, Machinarium, Cortex Control are a few examples that well-animated, well-executed 2D is still around. It's just not on the same grand scale that 3D Shootmans is, nor will it ever be again unless the form becomes mainstream again, or more people are willing to fork over $200 - $400 per copy.
    I could see a potential for high-end boutique games, much the way things like T-Shirts have a high-end boutique audience; problem is, piracy kills your scarcity, which is one of the selling points of that kind of thing.

If you found a way to combine the $200+ vinyl toy audience into the games audience, you'd have a thing... which was kind of the Neo Geo's bag there for a bit.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 04 Feb 2011 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Cotton 2, Soukyugurentai, Guardian Force, hell even Darius Gaiden...
    GTFO
    Nothing to do with the RAM, really, the NeoGeo had the same amount of RAM as the Genesis and far less than the Saturn or PSX, it just had several hundred dollars worth of speedy ROM packed into a cartridge.

Which technically the Saturn was capable of, too, it's just no one would have bought a game like that if they made one.
    Because of the CD media, it was a RAM limitation with the Saturn. I fully understand that the Neo didn't need a lot of RAM since it used cartridges and that the Neo CD had a relative shload of RAM at the time.

7. I don't think anyone regards the Neo CD as anything but a blip, Yoshi.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Horsepower shmorsepower. Saturn had better games at the end of the run. This is largely due to the Capcom > SNK rule.
    That depends largely on the genre.

Anyway, I hear you own a computer. If there's no "Neo Geo Quality 2D" games coming out, it's because there's zero demand. Better start liking indy games!
    I'm not talking about "Neo Geo Quality 2D" anymore. I want the equivalent for today. So 120 fps, 3D, 1080p+, bazillions of shaded polygons, 8x AA, etc. standard.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I don't think anyone regards the Neo CD as anything but a blip, Yoshi.
    I loved the shit out of mine, since it got me in the door before I could afford the real deals.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I'm not talking about "Neo Geo Quality 2D" anymore. I want the equivalent for today. So 120 fps, 3D, 1080p+, bazillions of shaded polygons, 8x AA, etc. standard.
    Problem being nobody wants to do that, nobody is buying that. The benchmark across the board is catching up to that gradually as it is, just takes time.

What a drag it is, getting old.