Page 1 of 32 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Why You Are Embarrassed About Being American

Why You Are Embarrassed About Being American

I love being American. I just want to preface this thread with that. I am not anti-American or anything even close to that.

But sometimes I am definitely embarrassed about being American.

Inspired by this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I've actually been watching this on FX as they air this season.

The reason other countries hate us: I'm proud of myself for following a schedule instead of just letting Netflix and Hulu throw at me what they may. In india they're struggling to get water and I'm feeling all big boy responsible for bothering to tune my TV into a station at a time. God bless America.
    So what makes you hate yourself for being American?

Here's mine for the day:
    I am excited about the passing and impending enforcement of the loudness law.

Not even for watching tv, for watching the edited caps of sporting events I DL and watch when I'm going to sleep.

But still. Wow.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

2. I don't see what you're getting at. Maybe another example would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

3. I don't suffer from mad guilt about America's luck but to see me and my wife bust our asses to finish school and will likely NEVER make as money and Snooki and The Situation makes me embarrased to be American.

http://www.fvza.org/index.html

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bojack View Post
    I don't suffer from mad guilt about America's luck but to see me and my wife bust our asses to finish school and will likely NEVER make as money and Snooki and The Situation makes me embarrased to be American.
    Other countries have overpaid and talentless celebrities. Other countries have reality television. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Not being able to spell "embarrassed" in spite of the red squiggly line, though...
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. You're concerned about his spelling/bad typing when half the last sentence made no sense?
    Also I'm not real sure what OP was trying to get at either
    I think we could sum up this thread just by pointing out our current economic situation. That's pretty embarrassing.

6. I guess not being able to really speak another language is something, although as an American it's pretty difficult to choose a language worth learning and then also maintain any proficiency (my school-taught Japanese has gone from functional to rudimentary). My European friends all speak like 3 or more, and while the geographic and cultural circumstances make it much different, I still feel dumb.

I agree with FuryFox. Everyone should speak multiple languages. My Spanish is rusty but still pretty good. And I want to learn Mandarin. Those are three languages worth knowing, since they speak a zillion different languages in India.

8. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    I guess not being able to really speak another language is something, although as an American it's pretty difficult to choose a language worth learning
    Why on earth would spanish not be worth learning in the US? Does that mean Canadians don't think French is worth learning?

I think the biggest "fuck you" to poor people this country has going is the obesity. People have ceased to take care of themselves in so many ways.

9. I think about this topic a lot actually, not that I'm anti-American, but because of how much other counties watch us.

I'm with those who mentioned languages. I try to work other languages into my day every day, or else it just doesn't stick. I hate the fact that I could go to a lot of other countries, and have their people switch to flawless English while I fumble over basic phrases, screw that.

I'm embarrassed that we have fast food places on every corner, as well as convenience stores full of junk food. And while on the topic of food; I'm embarrassed that bio-engineered food is rapidly growing, and Congress hasn't even passed legislation that says it has to be labeled. They tried that in Europe and they said hell no.

I've always been embarrassed by a lot of the garbage on TV and our celebrities. In general I hate the "everyone's gotta be a star!" mentality. It just can't be worse anywhere else.

I once had a foreigner try to explain to me where Ukraine is, even though I already knew where Ukraine is. I also had a couple explain to me that Belgium is divided into Dutch and French speaking halves, which I also already knew. So maybe the expectation is that we're geographically ignorant? That's worth being embarrassed about.

10. How is a lapse in personal responsibility a "fuck you to poor people?"