Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel Recommendations: Portland, OR

Go see a Thermals show.

2. The Northwest doesn't entertain you, Californian, you entertain the Northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I have been here the past few days and I can honestly say it's one of the most boring, blah, nothing places I have ever been to.
    I bitched about it on facebook a whole bunch but yeah, it's just there is nothing interesting here for me.
    I saw this.
    What the hell makes it so boring? And what is the obsession with fashion? I don't get it.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. I don't know, it's just....boring? The people are boring? The shops? The parties? I'm just used to a faster paced lifestyle, I guess. More flash, more interesting things to see per city block. Portland seemed really empty to me. Even the "hip" places were really really empty. Except Powell's, they were packed.
    The obsession with fashion is I'm a girl and it's my hobby, so I notice a lot of details that perhaps many would tend to miss. I could go into further detail if you want, but basically instead of being obsessed with video games and tech stuff, these days it's about clothing/makeup/hair for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Do you make your own shit or do you shop for stuff?

My idea of being in the fashion scene is like...I imagine it's just like that DSW commercial where that chick runs all the way after that guy just to ask him where he got those shoes, and he's like "I think you already know." Except I suppose in the scene nobody gets their shit at DSW.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I don't know, it's just....boring? The people are boring? The shops? The parties? I'm just used to a faster paced lifestyle, I guess. More flash, more interesting things to see per city block. Portland seemed really empty to me. Even the "hip" places were really really empty. Except Powell's, they were packed.
    The obsession with fashion is I'm a girl and it's my hobby, so I notice a lot of details that perhaps many would tend to miss. I could go into further detail if you want, but basically instead of being obsessed with video games and tech stuff, these days it's about clothing/makeup/hair for me.
    Come to New York.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

7. I do a lot of both! The clothing I make and sell is a little more outrageous than what I wear myself, so i am always on the lookout for both business and personal.
    Everyone I meet who is "into fashion" has a little bit of a different spin. Some people are really into brands, some really enjoy a certain style, some enjoy just what is popular. And then the actual clothing designer people have a different attitude altogether! It's varied.

8. Aw, Sats doesn't like Portlandia! Is ok, Pac NW is totally NOT about a fast paced lifestyle (unless you count Seattle, which is really just a poor man's SF or a really poor man's LA). Portland is all about just hanging back and letting it come to you (for lack of a better phrase). Fast? Seek elsewhere young Padawan.

EDIT
    Let me 'splain some more. The creative types I know from this area that are gung-ho for taking it to The Next Level leave Seattle/UW and head to Cali for either the Bay Area or LA. The ones that stay in the Seattle area glom on to MS or SBUX or Amazon and embrace the outdoorsy/REI lifestyle. If the REI lifestyle's not the key, then folks tend to drift south and get hip to SF/LA.
    Last edited by The_Meach; 06 Aug 2011 at 04:55 AM.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

9. haha, nah dude...it's cool. The place just rubbed me the wrongggggg way. I felt like I was dumped in some sort of Twilight Zone where I was the only sentient being. My best friend seems to be doing okay there, so I guess it's just not for me.

the Bay is where it's at for me...not nuts about LA, but I find myself wanting to visit frequently and I'm not quite sure why.

Sats would hate it in NY. There is no fashion.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie