Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hotel Recommendations: Portland, OR

1. Those chicks that dress like an American Apparel ad are a-ok, I think. That is what I think of when I think "hipster girl".

The dudes are douchebags 100%. Ironic mustache trucker hats with some flannel and a "my kid is an honor student" t-shirt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. I think at the very least I'd enjoy NY because even if the majority of people themselves aren't fashionable, many many brands I enjoy have their home base in new york. There are other things in new York that I have wanted to see for years that are not fashion related, such as galleries or landmarks. Portland was REALLY lacking in the gallery area, I was very surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

I mean if you're into more than just fashion, NY is the fucking place to be. The hipsters may be obnoxious but there really are a plethora of actually talented worthwhile artists and musicians here.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    The difference is intent. Identifying yourself as part of a subculture, like grunge or ska or skinhead or whatever by wearing that uniform is different than being "into fashion."

It's also a different process. Hipster fashion is about showing the world how clever and snarky you are. Fashion is about how fucking awesome you can make yourself look/getting creative with your personal presentation. Hipsters end up looking like douchebags. And well, they mostly are.
    or in other words, it is the difference between building a house and living in a house.

and hipsters went back to living in tents because it is ironic to do so while everyone else lives in houses, even though they don't really like living in tents.

5. Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach View Post
    (unless you count Seattle, which is really just a poor man's SF or a really poor man's LA). The creative types I know from this area that are gung-ho for taking it to The Next Level leave Seattle/UW and head to Cali for either the Bay Area or LA. The ones that stay in the Seattle area glom on to MS or SBUX or Amazon and embrace the outdoorsy/REI lifestyle. If the REI lifestyle's not the key, then folks tend to drift south and get hip to SF/LA.
    I'm sitting on a mountain of data that conflicts with all of the above. Did you live in Seattle for very long?

6. Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa View Post
    I'm sitting on a mountain of data that conflicts with all of the above. Did you live in Seattle for very long?
    I'm guessing you probably know the answer to that.

Edit for cow: If you just go a bit further out than williamsburg, you get some really interesting cats.
    Last edited by Anthony; 11 Aug 2011 at 12:42 AM.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life