Thread: Summer Wars

1. Summer Wars

When timid eleventh-grader and math genius Kenji Koiso is asked by older student and secret crush Natsuki to come with her to her family’s Nagano home for a summer job, he agrees without hesitation. Natsuki’s family, the Jinnouchi clan, dates back to the Muromachi era, and they’ve all come together to celebrate the 90th birthday of the spunky matriarch of the family, Sakae. That’s when Kenji discovers his “summer job” is to pretend to be Natsuki’s fiancé and dance with her at the birthday celebration. As Kenji attempts to keep up with Natsuki’s act around her family, he receives a strange math problem on his cell phone which, being a math genius, he can’t resist solving. As it turns out, the solution to the mysterious equation causes a hijacking of the social networking site through which most of the world's social and business traffic flows.

It's so fucking good.

Anyone else seen it?

2. I just acquired it recently. I've made a post on FB about it, but I'll parrot my opinion here:

The guy's other movie, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, is much like this one. It makes a poignant statement on society or human behavior at the expense of plausibility or internal logic. Even for a future internet, there's a lot of really unbelievable shit going on with the plot that makes it middling to sometimes just bad. The message is clear, that creating a world just as important as the real one opens up the floodgates to single entities gaining an intrinsic power that can't be emulated in the "real" world. One person or entity possessing the power to control traffic, the economy, even the fate of the world can't be done in the "real" world, but one of our own making creates that possibility. It's a cautionary tale about carelessly leaving the world in the hands of a virtual wasteland. That said, the way it's all executed is somewhat sloppy, just like this guy's last movie.

I did really enjoy it though, it's the first movie that has math so hardcore and pressing that it causes internal bleeding.

3. It's not even supposed to be future internet actually, the grandma is celebrating her 90th birthday and was born in 1920, so it takes place in 2010.

I mean, I know it's silly to think that somehow the kid would need to type faster to make up for his avatar being hurt, as if that is how it works. Or at the one point when the girls avatar starts crying, like she would really be typing that shit into her cellphone right then? You just have to accept that maybe that's how it works in the universe, like how time travel happens in back to the future but otherwise it's supposed to be the real world.

4. this is $23 on Blu-Ray on Amazon, I am tempted to pick it up.

5. It was 20 bucks at Best Buy the week it came out. You might still be able to nab it for that much.

6. I just saw this film recently and was quite underwhelmed by it. The plot didn't seem at all believable, even for an alternate modern world, was very drawn-out and there were only a few characters that I found truly captivating. It was definitely a lot longer than it needed to be.

I will have to go watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time again to get the bad taste of this movie out.

7. So I was working on a comic back in 2004 about an advanced version of the internet which gave birth to a spirit animal of the main character that was a rabbit which looks almost exactly like the one in that trailer. I found the initial thread I put up on TNL but the attachments all vanished in one of the board upgrades so the art isn't there anymore.

This is probably only freaky to me.

8. Congrats, you may have been the inspiration for a fairly crappy anime movie.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

9. Oh boy!