Thread: Kimi ni Todoke (Reaching You)

1. Thumbs Up Kimi ni Todoke (Reaching You)

Kimi ni Todoke (Reaching You)

Sawako is a shy, introverted teenager somewhat resembling the creepy little girl from The Ring. This earns her peer ridicule and the nickname "Sadako." The show focuses on Sawako's gradual emergence from her shell as she finally makes some friends, and even dares to hope to acknowledge the possible seedlings of a maybe-some-day... boyfriend. Kazehaya, the handsome and popular jock in her class would never be interested in creepy ol' "Sadako"... or would he?

Unlike Kare Kano, where we get access to both viewpoints, Kimi's very much told from the female's perspective and is aimed squarely at that gender. As such, we're treated to a barrage of brutally romantic scenes and heartwarming moments.

Some frustrating ones as well. Sawako is painfully shy. She gets better, but near the end of the season when she's still freaking out about getting invited to karaoke, you might have the urge to slap her. Just a little.

One particularly sweet sequence comes near the end, where Sawako recounts her solitary childhood. We get to see her playing a selection of made-up games like solo jump-rope (ties two bungie cords to two chairs and hops between them), solo volleyball (a mini Sawako with clasped hands is seen keeping a ball in the air with her forearms), solo cat's cradle (some string shapes are shown), and solo "Speed," (don't know what this one is, but it involves dealing playing cards very, very fast... by yourself).

The first season is 25 episodes (second just completed and is only 12; haven't watched yet), and it's a bit too long. I understand secondary characters need to be fleshed out, but the episodes where it's literally all about them just aren't compelling. Kare Kano did this, too, but Tsubasa was rad as hell.

Production I.G. shines as we've come to expect. Art style is unique and, once again, like Kare Kano, shifts regularly between realistic and superdeformed (seen above).

Overall I give this a hearty recommendation with a score of 8/10, putting it in good company with K-ON!, Lovely Complex, Strawberry Marshmallow, Princess Tutu, Last Exile. If you've got a hankerin' for highschool romance done right, and with a distinctive lead character worth rooting for, you've come to the right place.

2. solo "Speed," (don't know what this one is, but it involves dealing playing cards very, very fast... by yourself).
    Speed is a card game where the objective is to get rid of all your cards before your opponent. Cards can be played in order (if a five is present, a six or four can be played) and you'll have to be faster than your opponent if you both have cards that can be played. By herself I'm guessing she had both stacks and tried to run out of one faster than the other.