Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Tons of Lost Mayan Treasure

8 Tons of Lost Mayan Treasure

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    It's a treasure hunt even Indiana Jones would be proud of.

Buried beneath a lake in Guatamala sits a fortune in lost treasure -- Mayan gold to be precise -- and a group of German archaeologists has just set off to find it. Their only guidance, a freshly decoded ancient book containing a map to the treasure.

It sounds like a movie, but it's very much real, reported FoxNewsLatino. Joachim Rittsteig, an expert in Mayan writing who is heading up the mission to Guatemala's Lake Izabal, the site reported. Rittsteig claims to have cracked the famous Dresden Codex, a pre-Columbian Maya book possibly from the 11th century, and discovered in its pages specific information that leads to a treasure in the lake.

"The Dresden Codex leads to a giant treasure of eight tons of pure gold," said Rittsteig, who has spent more than 40 years studying the document. According to the German newspaper Bild, which is sponsoring the expedition, two reporters from the publication, a photographer, a television camera, and a professional diver will visit Izabal in an attempt to find the gold.

A professor emeritus at Dresden University and author of various publications about the Maya culture, Rittsteig stressed that the information is in the Codex.

"Page 52 talks about the Maya capital of Atlan, which was ruined by an earthquake on October 30th in the year 666 BC," he said. "In this city, they kept 2,156 gold tablets on which the Maya recorded their laws."
    Link

I hope someday I can go on wild goose chases. That would be so awesome, as long as I am not funding it.

This is going to be such a boring expedition without Nazis.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. How does it take 40 years to study a document?

I mean lets be honest, if it takes that long for anyone to decode it they're probably grasping at straws.

They're digging in the wrong place!
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. Wait, so 10 months before the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar, a bunch of scientists are going to dig up ancient Mayan treasure?

This will not end well.

6. Oh good, it's Lake Izabal. I was going to be pissed if this made my trip to Flores more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    How does it take 40 years to study a document?

I mean lets be honest, if it takes that long for anyone to decode it they're probably grasping at straws.
    Opaque, if you have Netflix watch Cracking the Maya Code. The language is overly complicated, varies between the writers/artists, and my beloved Catholic church did everything they could to destroy it.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. But forty years? Some kid broke the PS3 code in a few years and Mayan experts need 4 decades to reverse translate a single document?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Wait, so 10 months before the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar, a bunch of scientists are going to dig up ancient Mayan treasure?
    Mayan calander ends the same way ours does on Decemeber 31st.

The next day isn't the end of the world it's just a new cycle of the Calender.

9. Coronado's City of Gold?? You have got to be shitting me! People still hold on to this being real? I suppose the Black Pearl's real too!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. Doc, let's go to Florida and find that fountain.
    May be if you live forever you'll eventually find someone who will fuck you!
    <3<3<3<3<3