Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Skullgirls (2D Tag-em-outs Girly Type Fighter)

1. Yeah I need to see more of everything before I start getting excited for this.

I just love that art style and it looks spectacular in motion. It's interesting that there appears to be a revival of Western fighting games going on, between this, Mortal Kombat, and Chaos Code.

Plus that's Mike Z discussing the game, so it's comforting to know that somebody who really understands fighters is working on one.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I kind of hate the art style =/
    Art style aside, I like the way the sprites look and would be interested to learn more about how they're made. They appear to be neither traditional pixel art, nor vector-based, and the technique looks very nice. They're well rendered, if not necessarily well designed. It seems like these guys come from an animation background beyond just games.

EDIT: And wow, look at the lighting in the second stage. It looks like they have a separate lighting mask for highlights, and it looks really great in action.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 04 Mar 2011 at 01:54 PM.

4. "Drawings, animated, with an alpha channel" would be my guess. The pixel art still is a red herring, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. I really don't get what everybody around the net seems to be so harsh on this game's art style. It has a nice look that seems to work for what they're doing with it, and kind of reminds me of a Saturday morning cartoon or something.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    "Drawings, animated, with an alpha channel" would be my guess.
    That's what it looks like in the video, but neither that nor the screens are high enough res to really say for sure. It looks nice though.

7. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    I really don't get what everybody around the net seems to be so harsh on this game's art style. It has a nice look that seems to work for what they're doing with it, and kind of reminds me of a Saturday morning cartoon or something.
    Most Saturday morning cartoons looked like dogshit.

8. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    I really don't get what everybody around the net seems to be so harsh on this game's art style. It has a nice look that seems to work for what they're doing with it, and kind of reminds me of a Saturday morning cartoon or something.
    Nerds scared by thick thighs, IMO.

I like it! Looks like something lively out of somebody's sketchbook instead of LIFELESS ANIME DRONE FIGHTER 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. I don't hate the art, but the saturday morning cartoon comparison is apt, and not necessarily flattering. It's also got that westernized anime thing going that is very passe right now.

10. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Nerds scared by thick thighs, IMO.
    Chun Li says sup.