Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNL Music Club: Week #8. Badfinger - Straight Up

TNL Music Club: Week #8. Badfinger - Straight Up

Badfinger

Straight Up

It was hard to pick an album here. Really, I think the best way to get a grip on this band is by listening to their greatest hits, but greatest hits collections for music club are pretty lame.

Badfinger was a early 70's power pop band groomed by the Beatles and Apple records to pretty much be the Beatles: Part 2. It didn't work. It really, really didn't work. I'd really recommend reading their wikipedia page for more information. Their story is pretty amazing, and I'll just fuck it up by typing about it.

Fartsy version: a "classic rags to riches story with a tragic Shaksperian ending"

Short version: Their label fucked them, REALLY hard. Harder than most bands get fucked. Their singer/songwriter couldn't deal with it, and hung himself. A couple years later the bass player did the same thing...

But not before recording the best power pop song ever: Baby Blue. I can draw a direct line from Badfinger to the Jam to the Vapors to the bands I love today. I can guarantee you've heard this band before, but probably didn't realize it was them.

Nothing is up yet, btw... Opaque is gonna take care of that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BadfingerStraightUp.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	60603  

2. I think their two biggest hits were written by Beatles, which sucks because they were great songwriters but never really got that credit. They wrote 'Without You' which Nilsson had a hit with

3. I want to hear Head First.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

To the best of my knowledge, the only song written for them by a Beatle was Come and Get It.

5. That 'No Matter What You Are' song totally sounds like a Paul or George song too. I guess I always just assumed it was

I thought so too, until I looked it up.

I love that song, btw.

should I be listening to the remaster?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Not unless it is the 1993 remaster/CD release.

Is this the part where I get all Opaque-butthurt because no one discussed anything?

I don't care if you talk about it, but I hope you at least gave it a spin or two...

10. I'm so bad at remembering to move the music club albums onto my iPod to listen at work. I just said fuck it and downloaded it from a blogspot link.

Currently rocking out to Sometimes. Great song.
    Also, the "What can I DOOOOOO" part of Baby Blue gets me every time.
    Last edited by FirstBlood; 18 Mar 2011 at 10:45 AM.