Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speak Spanish

1. Speak Spanish

I know some people on TNL have to be fluent in Spanish and now it's your chance to help out us n00bs. I had some Spanish speaking friends at my old job, some who barely spoke English. I eventually got to a point where I could communicate with all of them (through horrible structure) over basic to moderate level things. My vocab is terrible and I still don't fully understand how to form proper sentences in a lot of cases. I've always wanted to be more advanced (possibly to the point of being semi-fluent) in the language and I thought a thread where aspiring Spanish speakers could ask questions would be kind of neat.

Anyways, I just friended a guy I used to work with on Facebook. He's from Ecuador (though the norm in my industry is the Mexican dialect) and speaks good enough English to be able to hold conversations. I attempted to reply to him "What's up my crazy friend? I miss you and my friends at Iron Hill. How have you been? My new job is going well." My reply in Spanish came out:

"Que Pasa mi amigo loco? Te extrano y mi amigos en Iron Hill. Como estas?

Mi nuevo trabajo va bien."

I'm very sure the last sentence is all wrong and I couldn't quite think of how to say "How have you been?"

What would have been the correct way with a little bit of insight into why?
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

2. Fuck you.

3. In the nicest way possible of course.

Razor is so smooth.

bitches all the time about people being racist towards Mexicans and other minorities, but if someone asks for help to break down the language barrier, he tells them to fuck off.

real smooth razor. You're a king of men.

5. What' ¿s sobre mi amigo loco? Careciéndolo y a mi amistoso en la colina del hierro. ¿Cómo usted ha sido? Mis nuevas obras van bien. TU MADRE

6. Puedo ir al bano? RASCACIELOS!

You actually did pretty well, Gohron. I guarantee you your meaning came across at the very least.

"How have you been" is "Como estabas" informally, unless I am even more rusty that I think I am.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Hubbitron View Post
    What' ¿s sobre mi amigo loco? Careciéndolo y a mi amistoso en la colina del hierro. ¿Cómo usted ha sido? Mis nuevas obras van bien. TU MADRE
    Yahtzee. Obviously you're going with what I said but it looks drastically different. What does Careciéndolo mean (translated)? Guess I'll just start from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    "How have you been" is "Como estabas" informally, unless I am even more rusty that I think I am.
    I will keep that in mind. Thanks.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

9. What' s on my crazy friend? Lacking it and friendly in the hill the iron. How you have been? My new works go well. YOUR MOTHER

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    You actually did pretty well, Gohron. I guarantee you your meaning came across at the very least.

Incorrect. If you're asking someone how they're doing you just say, "Como esta?" (formal) or "Como estas?" (informal).

You could also go with "Que pasa, mang?" That may be more "authentic".
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill